Author Topic: RYoungMK1GTI - mk1 turbo  (Read 16391 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
RYoungMK1GTI - mk1 turbo
« on: 20 January 2006, 13:03 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk1 Golfs R still the Best
Re: RYoungMK1GTI - mk1 turbo
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2006, 19:38 »
First all abit of history.
The car was originaly a 1982 1600 GTI.  My dad bought the car in about 1993 for £850 it was clean however it had been driven. He used it as a second car (and a toy) but mostly my mum used it to take me to school and go shopping. After about 2 years the mk1 was taken off the road and left under a tree and in the bushes for 5 years.  This took its toll on the the paint and some rust was starting to come through. In 98 the mk1 was put back on the road as a main car, as the renault savanna  :embarassed: my dad was using kept needing more welding every MOT which it eventually caused him to sell it.   :smiley:  What a good day. So now my dad had a Mitsubishi shogun which he took to more than the golf so the mk1 was for sale. Me and my mate cleaned it up and sorted some of the rust. Thankfully the car never sold. So it sat in the bushes till 2003.
    I had passed my test and was running a 1300 mk1 3dr. which was dreadfully unreliable. and after only 8 months it came to retirement.  I managed to pusade my dad to sell it to me for £1000, which wasnt a bad price and i didnt pay it, woo whoo i had a GTI at 17. After goin out and hammering all my mates in there vtrs and 16v corsas 3 months pasted and the clutch was slipping and it was using 5litres of oil a week. So i thought it was engine conversion time. I had known i was going to build a mk1 turbo since i was 15 so i thought id get it ready and go for a digifant. i much prefer EFI to k jet.
 I used the car for about 8 months and loved it got some big bumbers on it and it was looking nice, the bumpers covered up some of the rust so i was happy. And then after spending 1 whole weekend cleaning it and gettin it running mint for southport beach cruise, my dad smacked it in the side with his 11 ton truck, dented all the off side wing and ripping the bumper off ( thats why i didnt pay for it) I lost interest in the mk1 and took it off the road after a month or two.  i had no need for a car and had lost interest in driving fast so didnt have one till i got a job then bought a 1.1 renault 5. what i beast that was. 
« Last Edit: 22 January 2006, 20:04 by RYoungMK1GTI »

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2006, 20:19 »
This was my first car.

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2006, 20:24 »
This is what it looked like before the truck.

And then after

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2006, 21:29 »
The homebuild.

Since it was off the road i decided to build the turbo engine, a home made one of course and keep it very.  Using a standard 8v digifant only with low compression pistons that i had copied from a turbo technics piston i had the 4 pistons only cost me £30.  I rebuilt the engine with standard parts only using a G60 head gasket.  I bought i Garrett T3 water cooled turbo used on Volvo's and rovers etc with manifold for £100 from a scrapyard, no play in the bearing or anything it was off a crashed car. Before trying the usual diesel golf manifold my mate wanted to have a go at modifying the standard one.  So we cut the flange off the Turbo manifold and after allot of welding it fit, however it was very close to the driveshaft, we also made the downpipe. The whole job was abit of a bodge but it worked. to get the oil feed i cut the oil pressure switch in half and had a hydraulic fitting brazed on to it.  Having friends that work at BAE helps. This was all done in my mates garage in about a couple of weeks, after i got it all running it was ready to go, i had also fit FK Konisport coilovers and a full set of 16v brakes. I took it for MOT at the Mitsu garage where i worked which was also down one of the best country roads in the area. Man it was fast only taking it to 3500 rph it would have nailed the 16v i bought when i took it off the road for good. however on the way it was burning alot of oil and was nearly on fire.  I decided to leave the MOT and get it to the unit we had finally got and find the problem.  The problem was that i had run the oil feed from the top of the filter housing instead of out of the side of the head like on the turbo technics engine. The oil pressure had blown the seals on the turbo so it would have to come out and be rebuilt. 
  Weeks passed and eventually i decided to get back on with it by this time my mate was selling his fully running Turbo technics engine with proper ECU for fueling the 5th injector, whooohoo and he said i could have for £750 i couldn't believe it, he is also selling me his 16v LSD box for £350, it also helps having a friend who has his own VW garage.
  Months passed and those who are mechanics full time will tell you the last thing you want to do when you finish work is go and work on your own car. I did bits on the car and took the engine, gearbox and servo out. When i finally git the engine a couple of months ago it game me some enthusiasm to get it built.  And Ive only just started,  I'm such a lazy  BA$TARD.

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2006, 21:39 »
This is gonna be far from a show car but it will be nice on the bits you can see. This is how far i've got, im just preping the engine bay for painting, im not gonna prime it all just getting all flat and filler priming the deep scratches. Cheeting abit but im runnig out of time.

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2006, 21:52 »
Here is main rust spots nothing major though.

and some on the inner wing

Here are some pics of the car and engine

and aaarrrggghhh the power

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2006, 21:53 »
Right i cant belive its been this long, well ive been to mexico, it was mint, the night before i went i painted the engine bay and clear coated it.  4 coats of paint 2 clear. It doesnt look to bad no runs and minimal orange peel effect not to bad for a spanner monkey. the date for the MOT was 4 weeks after i got back, it never happened the LSD box i had a deposit on was sold when i was on holiday and i had no enthusiasim when i got back off holiday being back in this sh!t house country and all.

Mexico!

And Back to the car,

aftter priming,

and paint,

doesnt look to bad does it.

next thing finished off the engine, painted the block and slightly cleaned the head

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2006, 23:05 »
wow just realized how sh!t the pics look off my camera, never mind. Well got the car all jacked up on axel stands. How great are mk1s to work on fit a steering knuckle cover, including drop the rack for easyness, a track control arm and the engine onto innerwing mount, in under an hour. best cars ever, to work on anyway.

The inner wings arnt acually pink as they look in pics.

After making loads of progress the first weekend back, but the lack off money and a gearbox and clutch things ground to a halt. i messed about doin odd bits and bats of jobs for the next couple of weeks and decided to go for the standard 16v gearbox and clutch just for the MOT and runnin about in.

i fit the 16v servo and master cylinder end started on the brakes.

Some reason all the pics on my phone are gone but up to now the brake lines are done with goodridge braided hoses;
gearbox is in (16v std)
wiring is done;
fit new fuse box;
modyfied downpipe off turbo to fit a mk1;
driveshafts;
all new fuel lines;
coolant hoses;
bleed valve wastegate pipe is on;
oil feed to turbo and return,
headlamps;
heater controls and so on

will update soon!

Offline RYoungMK1GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2006, 15:14 »
Well another hold up, engine is all in and near enuff ready to run all the wheels are on and its rolling, had it booked in to powerflow on the saturday morning for the exhaust to be made.  However on the friday night i went out and whilst in the local night club some cu*t elbowed me in the eye and broke it, they fractured the bone and damaged the muscle and nerve, so been in hospital most of the week waiting for operation involving cutting under my eye and putting a metal plate in it, so i missed the exhaust fitting and also have stitches in my eye and im crossed eyed now woo who. i also have double vison for the last two weeks and its not getting better so i cant drive any way. yeah england is class.

PS. Im off for 3 weeks on sick pay so ill lose out on all of my wage, and im sat here now waiting for police to come and do a report, that'll do alot. They are fu*king usless i hate PIGS.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2006, 15:19 by RYoungMK1GTI »