Author Topic: GemGTI - mk1 "my Aubs"  (Read 10639 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
GemGTI - mk1 "my Aubs"
« on: 30 November 2005, 13:09 »
here you are...
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
Re: GemGTI - mk1 "my Aubs"
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2005, 23:45 »
This is the first car I have owned. My pride and joy, also known as "Aubs". Got her in March. She is a 1982 1.6 GTI mostly standard apart from a few slight modifications which were done before I got her. Here she is :

Not had too many problems with her to be honest. Shes a good little runner and very fast! In May I had to have the petrol pipes replaced as petrol was gushing out of the bottom of her as the pipes had become rotten. Good as new again now though. Had a little problem with the bumper rubbing against the paintwork and causing rust. Found out she had had new front side pannels so was slightly wider, therefore the bumper is very tight. So my boyfriends dad took the bumper off for me and shaved some plastic off the inside of it to give a couple of extra mm on each side, and I did a touch up job on the patch of rust. You can't really notice it as its half under the bumper, but me being a perfectionist I'd like her to be perfect so when I have the money, I'm going to get it done properly.

The next thing was the battery. It kept going flat for no simple reason. Took it to an auto electrician who told me that the stereo was draining it as it was wired up a bit dodgily. The boot was a mess. A huge (and I mean huge) sub enclosure, a couple of amps loosley wired and scattered around (nothing held down). One day I was happily driving along, listening to chemical brothers and there was a big popping sound and a smokey smell. One of the amps had blown. Time to get it sorted.

Decided I wanted my interior doing a while ago. After a lot of mind changing, I decided on keeping her as original as possible and going for a cloth re trim. Took her to MJ interiors, he showed me his portfolio and that was that. MJ also knew a top auto electrician who he said could sort out my stereo wiring and boot. Gave him a call, he drove over to my house, had a look over her, gave me some honest quotes and advice, so I booked her in with MJ. Took a while to get some retro cloth samples but found a cool one in the end. Took just over 2 weeks but i've got her back now. Feels like a new car. All the little electric probs sorted and the seats and boot look so amazing! So thats it for now. I'll post before and after pics asap.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2005, 21:57 »
Here are the before and after pics of the interior...

Before:

After:

Boot after:

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2006, 20:15 »
Since I had the seats/boot done, Ive bought a few nice shiny things. Chrome wing mirrors, chrome side strips, chrome door handles and chrome grille. Currently looking for a chrome petrol cap but the one I want is very rare. I want to put all the chrome stuff on when I get the wheel arches blended.

Just had the Mot. Bad news about the chassis, it looks like it has been bottomed out at some point! Car needs a new sill (nearside) and two rear tyres, break pipes and a few other bits and bobs. £500 later Aubs has a nice new Mot for another 12 months. I think I still need the offside sill doing as it feels like one side is solid and one isn't. Here are a few pics of chassis and new sill etc...

Offside sill:

Underneath:

New nearside sill (half completed)

So car has a new Mot but still a few other things to sort. Hazards have stopped working and door pin still needs fixing but need a new part for that. So thats all for now.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2006, 20:40 »
After having no hazzard lights for so long I decided to get it checked out. Thought it would be a simple job but I've come to learn that with Aubs nothing is ever simple! Got an auto electrician to look at it and it turned out the fuse box was a mess. I needed a new fuse box and needed everything re wiring as it was so bodged! Apparently it was a fire risk but they always like to put the fear into you don't they!! I mean I'd been driving it like that for a year with no probs! Anyway got it done, cost me £200 but they disconnected my de locked boot! So had to go back. They sorted that and then the horn stopped working! So had to go back again!

Then, whilst trying to find the leak, I discovered a knackered rear spring. Then my revs went really high for no apparent reason, then broke down on the motorway as the fan stopped working so the car overheated! So just got her back from the garage and Aubs is, for now, sorted.  :smiley:

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2006, 23:11 »
Just recently had a full stainless system fitted as a birthday present!! Went for a standard looking one as trying to keep the car looking original. Here are some before and after pics...

Back of car before...

Pipe before...

Back of car after...

Pipe after...

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2006, 23:07 »
More bad news. Found out a few weeks ago that the engine is knackered.  :cry: Needs a full re build so is currently in Doncaster getting the full works! The money I spend on this car!!  :rolleyes: Will update with pics when I get her back.