Author Topic: Noises  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
Noises
« on: 17 February 2019, 20:46 »
Evening All

I’m (fairly) new to GTi ownership (3 months) its all standard with the performance pack , I’ve still not sorted the rattling rear suspension- dealer has heard it but on inspection there is nothing wrong with the dampers - let’s see how it goes and if it develops was the response last time.
Anyway, that’s nit the reason for the post- on the motorway at a steady 70 it’s not exactly quiet- not boomy but a bit rumbly at the rear , is this linked to the rattly dampers or something else , notice a lot of comments about the Bridgestone tyres on here. Short of driving another GTi I haven’t anything to compare it against apart from the Mrs’s Merc (quiet and smooth) or my RS FOCUS - loud with upgraded exhaust .

Thanks in advance

Phil (quite frustrated with noises grrrr)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: Noises
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2019, 21:04 »
Impossible to diagnose online, each case is different.
However a lot of noises, similar to those you mention can be caused by adjusting the "fit" of the rear hatch.
There are a couple of rubber stops, you can adjust in/out to alter the fit.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2019, 21:10 »
I had a rear wheel bearing replaced after two months from new. Have they checked them?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2019, 21:41 »
Could be a bearing - only thing is they charge the blooming diagnostic fee to look at it.

I’m not too mechanically minded but it doesn’t sound right - almost a bit whiny??

Cheers

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2019, 22:44 »
Is your car new and under warranty? If so then no diagnostic fee is due.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2019, 23:28 »
No not new - 2014 with 23k - got the VW used car warranty

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2019, 23:48 »
Whining or droning? It could be the tyres if they are wearing unevenly. I had a problem like this years ago which I had rear wheel bearings, rear suspension and even exhaust changed under warranty unsuccessfully on a Calibra under a year old  (it was the 90’s) until the YTS kid suggested changing the tyres as the inner block sections of both rear tyres were wearing down quicker than the rest of the tyres. There was no noise until you reached 60,70ish then it droned chronically. Tyres were changed and problem solved 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 07:38 »
Yes, have a look at the rear tyres. If they have uneven wear, like a fifty pence piece, or feathering, on the inside edges, that will be all, or part, of your problem. Another way to diagnose this is to run your hand along the edges one way and then the other. If it’s smoother, one way than the other, then you have feathered tyres.

The problem is long standing with a few marks of Golf and is caused by the negative camber setup. Doesn’t seem to happen to all. Some say it can be prevented or cured by a 4-wheel geo, but, once the tyres have been damaged, they will continue to be noisey, even if moved to the front.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2019, 08:30 »
Yes, have a look at the rear tyres. If they have uneven wear, like a fifty pence piece, or feathering, on the inside edges, that will be all, or part, of your problem. Another way to diagnose this is to run your hand along the edges one way and then the other. If it’s smoother, one way than the other, then you have feathered tyres.

The problem is long standing with a few marks of Golf and is caused by the negative camber setup. Doesn’t seem to happen to all. Some say it can be prevented or cured by a 4-wheel geo, but, once the tyres have been damaged, they will continue to be noisey, even if moved to the front.

Yes, I had this on my mk5 Golf - the tyres wore unevenly and in a ‘stepped’ pattern on the inside edge that you could feel by running your hand around the tyre tread on the inside edge of the tyre. It sounded just like a worn wheel bearing above a certain speed. Never had this issue on my mk6 Golf though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 10:50 »
I test drove an ex-press mk7 GTI with feathered S001 Bridgestones and only 4,000-ish kms.  Sounded like all four wheel bearings were shot.  Appalling noise.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.