Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170968 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #740 on: 27 February 2020, 05:50 »
Well, here it is.....certainly doesn't do much for me  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOeIfUMgEE

It's going to have to be a significantly better drive than my 7.5GTI to tempt me.  All digital interior alone is enough to stop me from buying one, let alone the pig-dog nose.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #741 on: 27 February 2020, 06:34 »
Hmmmm 🤔

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #742 on: 27 February 2020, 06:40 »
Hmmmm 🤔

Least the GTI badge is less obvious on this colour.. I’m still undecided on it being central.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #743 on: 27 February 2020, 06:45 »
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-officially-revealed/41926

Wheels look truly awful and it seems to have overall lost the subtle distinction that has always made the GTI stand out.  The GTD looks better although it could be the wheel / colour combination.

Being in the minority who only want a two or three door car the Mk8 was never going to make my shopping list but I certainly won't be feeling any new model envy when these start to appear on the road.
TCR 3 door

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #744 on: 27 February 2020, 06:53 »
Red doesn't do anything for it at all and the two other colours actually hid some of the lines. No slider cover in central console, no hydraulic bonnet lift, wheels look awful, if you are a rear passenger you won't be able to see past the big seat tops. You're going to see finger prints and dust all over the front screens and dash and I bet you'll get wind noise from the wing mirrors too. Rear door tops hard plastic. Is it special enough? No, so it's going to have to drive exceptionally well to tempt people to buy one.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #745 on: 27 February 2020, 07:31 »
My thoughts... I think it doesn't look as bad externally as some might have suggested.

The colour is, as always, the key to making it look better - the red GTI doesn't look as good as the grey GTD in these photos.

The GTI wheels look terrible - but I always think the standard GTI ones on the Mk7 look bad anyway. The GTD ones were nicer on the Mk7 and remain so on the Mk8.

The interior... the seats look good actually. The DSG gear knob doesn't impress - a lot of dead space there. I don't like the way the inovision setup looks either and these will be the optional "navpro" version too.

So for a GTI you are looking at swapping the wheels, swapping the paint, paying extra for DSG and if you want the bells and whistles, paying for navpro too.

That might be a dealbreaker for most, especially if the base UK car is 35k to start with.... paint at 500, DSG at 2k, wheels at 1k and "navpro" probably 1.5.... thats 40k. I suspect it will be £39995 in that config.

And that more than anything else is a true worry.

The good news is that the standard GTI has effectively PP brakes and diff though....
« Last Edit: 27 February 2020, 07:32 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #746 on: 27 February 2020, 10:27 »
17's as standard?  :grin:

No illuminated VW badge for the UK. Thank fcuk.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #747 on: 27 February 2020, 11:10 »
17's as standard?  :grin:

Probably not in the UK. In Germany almost certainly.

I'm not hung up on the actual size though to be honest, as long as there is an option to fill the wheel arches to some degree it makes no difference to me what size that ultimately is - 20, 19, 18 or 17.

The other thing that I am certain is going to grind my gears though would be if on a RHD car they haven't bothered to switch around the buttons on the inovision display. Especially now these are soft buttons, not wired. It annoys me a lot on my current 7.5 NavPro.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #748 on: 27 February 2020, 11:33 »
Thomas at Autogefuhl has had a look at the GTI;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOeIfUMgEE

Only watched the first few minutes so far - still don't like that nose. Full width DRLs?! At least the rear spoiler looks better than previous pic I saw.

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #749 on: 27 February 2020, 13:53 »
I won't lie, I think it looks awful. Probably the worst wheels i've ever seen, i hate the front end, the badge in the middle looks rubbish and it just doesn't look like a sporty hatch. A darker colour with different wheels may improve it.