Author Topic: Stealers  (Read 1817 times)

Offline MB4

• Just got here
Stealers
« on: 23 May 2018, 21:26 »
So I've just had my first run in with the stealers yesterday. £263 for a service! Wasn't expecting that much but went along with it as I want the FVWSH stamp in the book.

But on top of that they quoted me for £269 brake pads and discs (pads at 70%), £283 for one leaking front damper, £142 for a broken bracket for auxillary water pump, £499 for cambelt change, and £34.96 for front wipers!

I said no thanks to that lot. Wouldn't mind but the car is only 4 years old and 70k miles so cambelt not needed for about 10 months.

I obviously need to change the damper though as it does need doing so thinking of replacing the front shocks for Bilstein B6's keeping the original springs. Seen some other good posts on here about that setup although I'm a bit concerned it might be too stiff.

And does anyone have any idea about what the broken bracket for the auxillary water pump could be or how to get it fixed for a sensible price if it is just a bracket?

Cheers
2014 Golf GTD Tornado Red with pano roof

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Stealers
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2018, 08:49 »
Hi MB4, welcome to the forum! You'll get more responses if you post this in the MK7 section - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0

You might be best stating which version you have to get more specific opinions (I see from your other post it's a GTD but others may not have seen that), perhaps add your car's details as a signature strip like mine?

Service for £263 - good or bad depends on what service you had. £269 for pads and discs doesn't sound too bad to me, but why not get the discs checked by a good independent as you might get away with just pads but at 70k miles, probably it'll need both. No harm in getting a second opinion though. £499 for a cambelt change also sounds good, my old A4 was over 1k at the main dealers!! I'd make sure the water pump gets changed too as they don't sound so robust but at 4 years old it can probably wait as you said. The bracket, no idea, get a part price and see if an independent can do it more cheaply unless you can have a go yourself? Wipers, I got an excellent set of Bosch Aerotwins online recently for £24 delivered, much better than the oem ones (A864S - https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/bosch-a864s-aerotwin-wiper-blade/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIspCDx-yd2wIVZZPtCh073ASjEAQYAiABEgJnNfD_BwE ). I don't know anything much on shocks but I would be inclined to always replace in pairs. :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MB4

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2018, 20:11 »
Thanks for the tip Watts. Signature added and wipers ordered!!

Service was literally oil change and pollen filter and a bit of grease on the door hinges.

I've found a good independent to fit both front shocks for £170 which is about what the dealer wanted for labour for fitting one. Will get them to check the brakes at the same time. And good idea about the bracket I'll try and get the part number tomorrow and see if I can do it or get it done with the shocks. 

Cheers
2014 Golf GTD Tornado Red with pano roof

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2018, 21:05 »
No problem :smiley: Those Bosch wipers are excellent and last well. My second service was as you've described and came to £180 so £260 odd sounds a bit rich unless there is less to do on a petrol. Did it not include an mot or aircon service?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.