Author Topic: MK8 Golf R to be 400bhp.....  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
MK8 Golf R to be 400bhp.....
« on: 25 April 2018, 11:14 »
According to evo's article... Interesting to see the reality and what that might mean for the GTI

http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/21153/volkswagen-r-to-diversify-and-push-next-gen-models-to-the-extreme
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: MK8 Golf R to be 400bhp.....
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2018, 14:08 »
400bhp sounds like a huge jump in hp/performance, more like MK9/10 foreseeable power if VW kept upgrading its range the way it's done so far so i take this with a pinch of salt. In addition, the GTI would have to jump to at least 300bhp levels to close some of that gap and compete with the current top hot-hatches and if i recall some past threads in this forum, 230/245 is the absolute sweet spot for most GTI enthusiasts  :tongue: so there would be an issue with potentially forcing that market share out of the next GTI with all that "un-necessary" power.

More interesting is which engine would provide that 400bhp, obviously no more 2.0 TSI, and even if we can all dream about Audi's 5-pot it won't be the case so the Arteon's VR6 seems a pretty logical choice, but at the same time a more expensive option and if no cheap lease deals again, it'll make the Mk8 R a much rarer sight. It somehow doesn't sound very probable to me but we are not that far away now...
« Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 14:10 by scanesare »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2018, 14:39 »
Chances are it will have a 300ish horsepower petrol engine combined with electrical assistance.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2018, 15:22 »
A very reliable source has dropped a strong hint that 350PS is the likely output for the mk8 R and it'll likely have at least some electrical assistance.
Whether that's going to be 350 plus electric or including we don't know for sure but 350 is the magic number.  :wink:
The cost of these things will likely jump a fair bit I'd think bringing the R back to a proper range topper rather than such a common sight like it has become. But VW's R team are now pretty much an autonomous unit (like SEAT have done with the Cupra brand) so there could be some interesting derivations coming up in future years.

Traction issues will hamper the GTI above a certain power level but the Leon Cupra now has over 300PS and the Clubsport S managed perfectly well with 310PS too. It's not all about off the line traction, the VAQ is like a side to side version of the Haldex 4wd system making the VAQ cars very agile and able to put a lot of power down coming out of corners.
Maybe the electric motor will scoot the power rearwards on the GTI too?
Did anyone get involved with the GTI market research in London the other week? Did they drop any hints?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2018, 22:39 »
Tidied up. ;)
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2018, 08:56 »
The cost of these things will likely jump a fair bit I'd think bringing the R back to a proper range topper rather than such a common sight like it has become.

Well, the article linked by the OP said as much:

VW’s desire to push the Golf R beyond its current 300bhp level comes as cheaper, more mainstream rivals like the Hyundai i30 N and Peugeot 308 GTi creep closer to the Golf R’s performance levels at a lower price point.

Stackmann said: ‘With a little more expressive design, R can go beyond the rational side of things. It [the R brand] can find its place in a different league of pure performance and there’s a space where customers are willing to pay a significant amount of money.’

Which I suppose is only the usual "speed is a question of money, how fast can you afford to go?"

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2018, 09:57 »
Think the RS3 and A45 have proved there's a market for premium hot hatches, facelift lift well spec'd RS3's are around £50k. Whether VW are able to create a premium 400bhp hot hatch with enough demand would be another question!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2018, 10:24 »
Think the RS3 and A45 have proved there's a market for premium hot hatches, facelift lift well spec'd RS3's are around £50k. Whether VW are able to create a premium 400bhp hot hatch with enough demand would be another question!

More like, hyper-hatches. As you say, it's a different thing for an Audi or Merc to have that asking price and a bit different for a VW. I don't think anyone is buying an RS3 or a A45 merely for the performance, it's a lot about the status as well at those levels.

But it is probably all hypothetical as I don't personally think there will be a MK8 R anywhere close to 400bhp, let alone over it (i would have expected 340 but if Exonian is right then 350 it is).

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2018, 10:41 »
Making a "premium" hot hatch is as others say more than just adding parts to knock the price up to 50k. Its about the badge as much as anything else. Adding the expensive parts is easy.

Take for example (albeit somewhat different) the Nissan GTR. As a pure driving machine, its up there with the best of the competition, but at that price point people become a bit snobby about the badge.

It becomes all rather odder when you consider VAG's badge differential strategy in the first place - as we know there are a whole family of mid sized VAG cars, all of which are essentially from the same parts bin. Its not VW's place in that hierarchy to be the 50k car. That's Audi's job. In the same way, you won't see an R equivalent SEAT.

Whatever they come up with will be less than an RS3... albeit the RS3 will probably move up a notch too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2018, 13:04 »
I have to admit the 4wd uber hatch is leaving me a bit cold

4 years of Rs and have to say they are just a little soul less but do flatter you as the driver, I get why people like this about them and in fairness why my wife loves hers, RS3 has a great engine but again leaves me cold

I have the same beef with the GTR, it is not a pure driving machine, its a box of electronics that makes you think you are

The quest for power is just going a little silly, more emphasis on fun than fast