Author Topic: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP  (Read 11057 times)

Offline Wide

• I live here
Re: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP
« Reply #30 on: 22 November 2017, 13:38 »
Indeed Clarky... is carrying more speed than a normal GTI can achieve through a corner a real good idea on the road?

Is having 230bhp a real good idea on the road then? By that reasoning a GTI is completely un-necessary compared to the basic 1.4 TSI Golf which is capable enough for overtaking and driving within NSL if that is our only concern. Who needs all that extra performance honestly? In fact how come there is even a market for performance cars at all?  :whistle:

Needs and priorities. My Clubsport is our family car, I'd say it spends 90% of its time being a boring commuter due to the roads and traffic here in which being a CS provides it with no extra benefit at all. But the 10% of time that the circumstances allow me to use it closer to its true potential (and by that I don't mean blind corners or roads with tractors or anything including the possibility to crash onto anything) are oh so satisfying. Clearly it doesn't mean that because I have it I should drive it like that all of the time. Knowing when and where is the key.

Agree 100%!. If you want a Performance Golf , why don´t go all the way?!.

I have also a MK7 140TSI, that car is 90% enought powerfull on everyday use.. even on Track  :wink:. I know a little crazy  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD0dYI0pG3E

But i like Cars and when i can drive the last 10% of my time on the road i want some more fun.....The GTI PP...  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZK1kGQOqCA
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 13:42 by Wide »
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 22 November 2017, 14:01 »
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 14:09 by clarky92 »
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #32 on: 22 November 2017, 14:29 »
Another angle - the difference between a gti 7.5 standard to gti 7.5 pp - add that onto a gti 7.5 pp and your at a standard 7.5 golf r. Could you justify being so close to a golf r price and sticking with a gti pp? Where do you draw the line and say this is enough for me.

That's a good one actually. Obviously cost is a major factor for most and in the UK the two cars are priced inexplicably close, more so than in any other market to my knowledge. Comparing 5-door DSG models:

UK R: £34,650
UK GTI: £31,505  That's 91% the R's price! but is it 91% the R's performance?

In Sweden where me and Wide are based (I know you don't care  :tongue: but just for the sake of comparison):

SWE R: 415,400kr  (£37,332)
SWE GTI: 325,400kr (£29,244)  That's 78% of an R's price. A reasonable discount for - coincidentally - a 79% as powerful car (and with 2 less driven wheels). Germany is the same with a safe ~25% margin between them.

There is the argument about the less fun drive in the AWD R (definition of "fun" is subjective btw) but the extra power makes up for it for most I'd imagine and for 3K more, if I wasn't already far above my budget I would be hard pressed to opt for the GTI if I was buying in the UK market unless I could get a really good deal.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 14:35 by scanesare »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #33 on: 22 November 2017, 15:53 »
Its actually even closer than that because if you use the ever popular drive the deal to get a good discount, you get discounts on the car only, not the extras :D

The closeness of the GTI price to the R in the UK is why actually a GTI is a pretty rare beast these days.

Far more R's than GTI's.

Of course, the extra cost doesn't end with the purchase price, the R drinks more fuel, pays more road tax and costs more to insure, but...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2017, 17:18 »
Its actually even closer than that because if you use the ever popular drive the deal to get a good discount, you get discounts on the car only, not the extras :D

That isn't correct - you get discount on the extras but the overall discount is 15% rather than 16% for a car with no extras (or met paint only). I think they give you roughly 11% off extras.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2017, 17:37 »
The PP has GTI on the red calipers. That's all the reason you need.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2017, 19:04 »
Hi guys ,

Really interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions ...end of the day its a MASSIVE choice and all people on here can do and some less aggressively than other is offer THEIR ...opinion . I am buy no means a expert and am picking up my first GTI on Friday ..yes the new 7.5 "facelift" 6DSG stock standard and im extremely excited , my research and Im sure Ill get destroyed if im wrong on this is that the Stock 7.5 has the SAME performance from a Engine perspective to the 7 PP ..so all your getting by saving 2K or so is in fact a 2ND Hand car with bigger brakes that you wont really need unless on a track day or borderline criminal on the road driving ...the handling yes PP with the diff is a bonus and nice to have but does that warrant a car thats going to look "outdated" when parked at the car park or at the lights for a little fun ...? Again personally I prefer knowing im in the newer car with all the new gimmicks and as someone said even those will be outdated in 2 years but until then Im in the latest model ....the real question you should be asking is not should you save 2k and go 2nd hand but should you spend 3/4 K more and get the R ...if performance is so important to you get the REAL DEAL and get the R....anyway hope know one takes any comments here personally just my opinion....
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2017, 19:08 »
Have a look at what Clubsport's are out there maybe?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2017, 19:14 »
Hi guys ,

Really interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions ...end of the day its a MASSIVE choice and all people on here can do and some less aggressively than other is offer THEIR ...opinion . I am buy no means a expert and am picking up my first GTI on Friday ..yes the new 7.5 "facelift" 6DSG stock standard and im extremely excited , my research and Im sure Ill get destroyed if im wrong on this is that the Stock 7.5 has the SAME performance from a Engine perspective to the 7 PP ..so all your getting by saving 2K or so is in fact a 2ND Hand car with bigger brakes that you wont really need unless on a track day or borderline criminal on the road driving ...the handling yes PP with the diff is a bonus and nice to have but does that warrant a car thats going to look "outdated" when parked at the car park or at the lights for a little fun ...? Again personally I prefer knowing im in the newer car with all the new gimmicks and as someone said even those will be outdated in 2 years but until then Im in the latest model ....the real question you should be asking is not should you save 2k and go 2nd hand but should you spend 3/4 K more and get the R ...if performance is so important to you get the REAL DEAL and get the R....anyway hope know one takes any comments here personally just my opinion....

Congratulations!

Fantastic choice, what colour? Standard spec is still fully loaded.

The dsg is superb. And you are correct on power. Mk7 pp is the same as standard 7.5 230ps. Give it 2k miles to loosen the engine and it comes alive. Enjoy the dsg pops aswell :grin:
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 19:16 by clarky92 »
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #39 on: 22 November 2017, 19:18 »
Thanks Clarky !
Took a shot in the dark and went for White Silver unseen....every youtube video ...online photo looks different and it edges on amaizing to baby blue  :sick: at times ....but i have to admit i dont care just looking forward to experiencing the GTI feeling after wanting one for the past 15 years ! DSG was a no brainer ...im 36 to grumpy and old to be shifting gears  :grin:
driving in and around london doesnt exactly shout manual either ...and as you say and based on research the DSG sound fabulous !
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver