Author Topic: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP  (Read 11044 times)

Offline darkcloud154

• Just got here
Re: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2017, 11:32 »
So i've found a PP MK7 low mileage registered 2017 which is 1.5k cheaper than a base spec 7.5 gti. I think it will be between these 2 now, leaning on the PP....

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2017, 12:26 »
A standard 7.5 is an absolute blast. I love mine. Has the newer exhaust as standard with massive pops and way more noise, AID is awesome. New hdrl lights are cool and the swopping indicators look amazing. I push mine quite a lot down a and b roads and not once i have thought i need  bigger brakes or a trick diff. But given the option if i was to trade in and get another golf i would get pp purely to say i have it. Bragging rights.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline darkcloud154

• Just got here
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2017, 12:37 »
A standard 7.5 is an absolute blast. I love mine. Has the newer exhaust as standard with massive pops and way more noise, AID is awesome. New hdrl lights are cool and the swopping indicators look amazing. I push mine quite a lot down a and b roads and not once i have thought i need  bigger brakes or a trick diff. But given the option if i was to trade in and get another golf i would get pp purely to say i have it. Bragging rights.

Interesting perspective to consider. Considering - (subjective) on how much you have pushed yours and the car doing what you feel it has to. I will push it and see where the limits are if i was to get a 7.5.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2017, 12:49 »
Personally I think that the limits of both cars are way too high for what is safe to use on the road. The PP diff may allow you to power through tighter corners harder, but the chances are, you won't be able to see what's round the corner.

My money would go on the newer car, as it has the latest tech and is plenty fast enough for 99% of situations.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2017, 12:50 »

Interesting perspective to consider. Considering - (subjective) on how much you have pushed yours and the car doing what you feel it has to. I will push it and see where the limits are if i was to get a 7.5.

Yes, very good point . The only real way to know is to take one on a test drive. Find a good dealer who is passionate about these cars and have a quick blast down your local country roads to see what you think.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2017, 12:51 »
Personally I think that the limits of both cars are way too high for what is safe to use on the road. The PP diff may allow you to power through tighter corners harder, but the chances are, you won't be able to see what's round the corner.

My money would go on the newer car, as it has the latest tech and is plenty fast enough for 99% of situations.

100% correct. I can only be on the limit for a second before Im in license loosing ground. God knows how you can push a golf r on public roads

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2017, 13:06 »
Indeed Clarky... is carrying more speed than a normal GTI can achieve through a corner a real good idea on the road?

It might be safe or you could find a tractor doing 10mph around that corner and even your bigger PP brakes might not be big enough. I saw my mate crash his Scooby like that...

On the track, different matter altogether.

I'd say the new non-PP car was the better bet. If I had the choice between secondhand and new I'd want new. Its not like the "basic" GTI is badly specc'ed at all. Its fully loaded!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline darkcloud154

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2017, 13:18 »
Fredgroves & Clarky92 thank you for your personal inputs and views on how you feel about both options. I think the big Q for me is, can you really push or as the dealer said provoke the car enough to know and feel and need the diff vs the normal gti, or can you push the car to 7/8 tenths and have the same fun without the diff. When i test drove the 7.5 gti the handling and speed pickup was impressive that i felt the R was just not a choice anymore!! Its interesting how ppl have diff opinions on these cars...

I've seen good / decent deals on both, so saturday is the day to pull the trigger on one!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #28 on: 22 November 2017, 13:27 »
Indeed Clarky... is carrying more speed than a normal GTI can achieve through a corner a real good idea on the road?

Is having 230bhp a real good idea on the road then? By that reasoning a GTI is completely un-necessary compared to the basic 1.4 TSI Golf which is capable enough for overtaking and driving within NSL if that is our only concern. Who needs all that extra performance honestly? In fact how come there is even a market for performance cars at all?  :whistle:

Needs and priorities. My Clubsport is our family car, I'd say it spends 90% of its time being a boring commuter due to the roads and traffic here in which being a CS provides it with no extra benefit at all. But the 10% of time that the circumstances allow me to use it closer to its true potential (and by that I don't mean blind corners or roads with tractors or anything including the possibility to crash onto anything) are oh so satisfying. Clearly it doesn't mean that because I have it I should drive it like that all of the time. Knowing when and where is the key.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #29 on: 22 November 2017, 13:36 »
Fredgroves & Clarky92 thank you for your personal inputs and views on how you feel about both options. I think the big Q for me is, can you really push or as the dealer said provoke the car enough to know and feel and need the diff vs the normal gti, or can you push the car to 7/8 tenths and have the same fun without the diff. When i test drove the 7.5 gti the handling and speed pickup was impressive that i felt the R was just not a choice anymore!! Its interesting how ppl have diff opinions on these cars...

I've seen good / decent deals on both, so saturday is the day to pull the trigger on one!

Exactly, it's the forums and the internet. Different people, different mindsets, uses and needs. Subjective terms and expressions such as "I push the car a lot", "the handling is great/ok/rubbish" may mean everything and nothing unless you can relate to the people expressing them and see how close your requirements are to theirs. I guess you go by "if 10 people agree on this, it's probably something I would agree on also" but it's not that simple when they don't. Which is why ultimately you should not rely on whether the dealer or the forum thinks they are great cars but actually go and drive them yourself, and if possible try to find a good piece of road to explore the car past a few straight line accelerations and generic driving. Try to simulate the driving scenarios that are important to you not just the ones available near the dealership.