Author Topic: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP  (Read 11051 times)

Offline Rh83

• Not said much yet
Re: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2017, 08:47 »
Agreed - PP is all about the diff and the brakes. Non-PP 7.5 is just about the tech. After moving upto PP, I'd go for the Mk7 PP and save a few £k

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2017, 09:25 »
I have owned a mk7 PP for the last 2 years, you can feel the diff under certain driving conditions on the road. Quite honestly the quality and brand of road tyres seem to make more difference than the diff under regular road driving.

I drove a 66 plate regular mk7 GTi for a week last year, traction was not an issue at all, I expected it may be, but not under regular, even spirited driving.
On the basis of the 7.5 being the newer model with better tech and probably a longer warranty, I would go for the 7.5 personally.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2017, 09:30 »
Matter of priorities really. How high up is the driving experience in your list and what are your expectations from the car? If you want to enjoy spirited drives at best then the PP is a must. It is definitely felt and appreciated without going nowhere near a track. It will not be apparent during the typical daily driving of-course, but whenever you have some "space" to push the car you will see how it can positively surprise you by keeping to its track and build speed earlier than expected without the, typical of powerful FWD, wheel-spin or understeer drama. It's very good in fact and for me the GTI shouldn't even be offered without it. Every other FWD hot hatch in the market comes with a lsd as standard nowadays. The non-PP 7.5 would probably be a bit of a cooler place to be in due to the active info but less satisfying during those sporty drives.

The biggest appeal of the 7.5 is probably not even the infotainment or tail-lights but knowing you're buying the latest model. I accept to some this can be a really important factor so not gonna argue on that. However, a facelift is not actually a new model or next gen in the sense someone compared an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 7 (let alone 8 and 10). It's nowhere near that in fact.

Personally (and that's just my opinion ofc) I have always been against facelifts regardless of model. The way I see it, just as the prices of the original car have come down and I can get great deals, I am asked to pay again the original full price of a car that is essentially 4-5 years old (its technology, not the car obviously) and at least at 2/3 of its life already. I can understand paying a high price during the first year a model is released but not 4 years after, when there are actually brand new offerings from the competition. I do think though that the facelift concept is genius on the dealer's/manufacture's side. And there is also the depreciation aspect. Being much closer to the end of its life, prices are going to drop quick and big when the actual next gen model comes out in say 2 years from now. I don't think there is going to be much between a 2016 mk7 and a 2017 mk7.5 when the mk8 will be out.

What is the price difference between the two cars you're looking at?
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 09:33 by scanesare »

Offline darkcloud154

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2017, 09:33 »
cost differential is around 2.2k GBP. But i have found a 2017 Mk 7 Gti PP so would still benefit from a warranty till 2020.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 09:35 by darkcloud154 »

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2017, 09:36 »
cost differential is around 2.2k GBP. But i have found a 2017 Mk 7 Gti PP so would still benefit from a warranty till 2020.

The 7.5 being the more expensive I take it?  If so, I would not even think about it unless you're too worried about the dash gadgets. Bargain some more on the MK7 and go for it. My estimation is that you are never going to get that 2.2k back when the mk8 is out in a couple of years, and that's too soon to ignore imo.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2017, 09:51 »
Agreed - PP is all about the diff and the brakes. Non-PP 7.5 is just about the tech. After moving upto PP, I'd go for the Mk7 PP and save a few £k
And the 7-speed box if you go for DSG!

Offline darkcloud154

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2017, 09:59 »
I'm def going DSG, and 5 doors. Thats for sure. I just spoke to a dealer who has driven both and said both are great - PP and 7.5 gti. He said the PP kicks in when you provoke to the car. But normal spirited the traction systems kick in. He said you can't go wrong with either. In response to the previous poster, yes the 7.5 is about 2.2k more than the mk7 pp registered in 2017.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2017, 10:13 »
From your initial post, I assumed the cars were the same value.

With a difference of £2.2k, it makes the 7 PP due more consideration.

Unless the dealer you spoke to drives an old Gen Polo 1.2, then he is talking rubbish.
The PP builds power and is almost diesel like in it's torque curve and as for traction system kicking in, is that a positive?

Drive both cars and find out for yourself, it's the only way to know.

I would expect the 7.5 to hold it's money better than the 7PP, but with the 7PP cheaper to start with, buy the one you like best with colour, wheels and spec you are happiest with

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2017, 10:18 »
Is it not only 1100 £ between the 7.5 and the 7.5 PP?. Its a no brainer then?!  :wink:

Think the new 7speed DSG is awsome..  :smiley:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2017, 10:21 »
Not sure on the cost - but if you are talking DSG then its the diff, better brakes, more power and an extra gear for that money.