Author Topic: Project 7.5R and Clubsport S  (Read 4596 times)

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
Project 7.5R and Clubsport S
« on: 19 November 2017, 10:59 »
Just thought you guys would be interested in Project 7.5R which has just started in Volkswagen Driver Magazine (www.volkswagendrivermag.co.uk)

It’s based around my nearly new R as I upgrade various parts over coming months. It’s going to be an OEM+ approach so nothing too radical. As I’m fortunate to have a Clubsport S we’ll be doing some comparisons against that car and looking at some upgrades based on our learning from Project 7.5R.

All of the engine power and torque figures are being recorded on Hi-Tech Perfotmance’s 4WD  rolling road in Northampton. It’s reckoned to be one of the best in the country. The December issue out this week records the standard figures against a JB4+ box and then the VWR R600 air intake.

We’ve got other plans with a FMIC and BCS Powervalve exhaust due to be fitted later this week.

My car already has the Ohlins road and track kit fitted and we’ll be covering that in the magazine soon. Last Friday the chaps at Revo put on one of their Alcon big brake kits so we’ll be looking at that in detail too. Towards the end of the project we’re hoping to be back at Revo and VW Racing to look at some of their other products.

It would be useful to tap into the expertise here as we’ve already experienced some issues that you guys may be able to help on. Wheel spacers are our current problem!

It would be good to hear from you on what you would like to see tested as we may be able to build that into the project.

I’ll post updates here and on Twitter as things progress.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Project 7.5R and Clubsport S
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2017, 11:12 »
It all sounds very cool and interesting :cool:
A CSS and an R..... must be a tricky decision what to jump in every morning :undecided: :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2017, 12:34 »
I had a flick through the mag last week when it popped through the door.
I've not read the full article yet but it's an interesting project.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2017, 18:01 »
How has the JB4 box been? Only asking as the guy from Sunderland who fitted it doesn't seem to have a very good reputation and I was surprised to see him in a well respected magazine. Be interested to hear your thoughts.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2017, 18:11 »
The R and the Clubbie are both great cars but in very different ways. The R is obviously a lot more practical and is highly capable but can’t get close to the Clubbie in terms of driver engagement. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever driven before, it really is that special. I had a BMW M2 last year and, as gorgeous as it was to look at, it was not close to the Clubbie in terms of the driving experience.

Project 7.5R is about trying to inject some of the Clubbie’s magic into a new R. The Ohlins suspension has made a huge difference and the single best upgrade I’ve ever made to a car. And that’s in over 30 years. The ride quality is more compliant than my Mother’s TDI Golf yet the body control is superb when pushing on. Expensive but in a different league to anything else (and I’ve tried pretty much tried everything over the years).

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2017, 18:19 »
I thought that jb4shop had a very good reputation. They’re well known in BMW circles and the Burger Motorsport boxes they fit offer a wider range of adjustment than most other tuning boxes.

I would be interested to know more about the bad reputation. Perhaps you can PM me. I don’t think it’s fair to have that sort of discussion on the forum.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2017, 18:55 »
Interesting to hear experiences between the two from someone who actually owns and drives both. The amazing thing about Ohlins (from what I've read) is exactly what you write, that it controls the chassis so much better but somehow manages to be more compliant than the standard suspension at the same time. Their valve technology must be pretty advanced. The only thing which worried me is the servicing required. Have had f*ckups from workshops on much simpler jobs so unless I had an actual Ohlins distributor and service point near me I would be thinking it twice. Then there's the cost but eventually that would not be the biggest problem I believe.

Interested on the graphs between stock and JB4 and even more if you repeat them after every upgrade.

PS. Do you by any chance have access to a VCDS or OBDEleven? Been looking for a CSS owner with such access to check one setting for me for some time now, cheers.

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2017, 19:11 »
Yes, Ohlins are incredible. I’ve tried pretty much everything over the years and the Ohlins manage the Holy Grail of better ride quality and superb handling. Worth every penny.

If you get hold of the December issue of Volkswagen Driver you can see the power and torque figures on a graph. Standard my R was 320bhp, 350 bhp with JB4+ box and just over 360bhp with the VWR R600 air intake. Worth looking at the graphs in the magazine which show where the improvements are.

Don’t believe rolling roads that show a standard R with 340-350bhp. It’s rubbish - all 7.5Rs are around 320bhp standard.

Sorry don’t have anything to read ECU. Might have to get something though!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2017, 21:47 »
Not in the UK unfortunately, if there is a link to an electronic form of the magazine it will be appreciated. Anyone claiming 340-350bhp on a stock R has no idea how dynos work probably and that you can get probably any value you want if you enter the right settings. Before/after differences are more enlightening as there is at least a reference. If you do get hold of one throw me a PM if it's not too much trouble!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2017, 22:37 »
I thought that jb4shop had a very good reputation. They’re well known in BMW circles and the Burger Motorsport boxes they fit offer a wider range of adjustment than most other tuning boxes.

I would be interested to know more about the bad reputation. Perhaps you can PM me. I don’t think it’s fair to have that sort of discussion on the forum.
Pm sent 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.