Author Topic: My new GTI PP nearly stolen. Anybody recommend best security  (Read 12030 times)

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
Re: My new GTI PP nearly stolen. Anybody recommend best security
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2017, 00:18 »
I live in Scotland where car theft is quite low compared to England and Wales.Most theft round these parts is done when a second car is on the drive and no one is home.Breaking in and stealing the keys.
It's very rare to hear of a theft when someone is in the house (sleeping).
I would take the keys to a second car to work with me.Upgraded locks and an alarm.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2017, 12:12 »
I think we must be on a list somewhere as having had two cars stolen over 4 years ago, 5 weeks after getting my Golf they were at it again. Thankfully I disturbed him and he legged it off down the road with a fair few expletives ringing in his ear!

Get something to store your keys in (we use a metal key box) that is out of sight and if you use an additional security device in the car (disklock type thing) store the keys for that somewhere else (another room perhaps).

You could also de-badge the car and get some 15" steel wheels  :laugh:

Oh, and don't have nightmares  :evil:
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

mattwilko92

« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2017, 21:13 »
As above i recommend anti snap locks, house alarm, sash jammers for windows and patio doors, keys out of site etc and good outside security lighting.

What i will say is, if they've got past all of that, leave the keys for them to easily find, as they will be coming upstairs and into yours or your kids bedrooms. Thats a situation i would rather not be in.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2017, 21:57 »
My latest GTI is keyless.
If the keys are wrapped in kitchen foil they won’t work even if held virtually on the door handles. Tried this with a small empty sweet tin. Again perfect blocking ....even when sittting in the car.
So for the price of a tin of sweets you can foil the signal relay operators. Not much but it’s an effective low cost start.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2017, 12:02 »
My latest GTI is keyless.
If the keys are wrapped in kitchen foil they won’t work even if held virtually on the door handles. Tried this with a small empty sweet tin. Again perfect blocking ....even when sittting in the car.
So for the price of a tin of sweets you can foil the signal relay operators. Not much but it’s an effective low cost start.

I tin foil my pockets. :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2017, 13:29 »
A good house alarm is important, I'm not a fan of Upvc doors due to the vulnerable panels, a good quality composite is better with high security handles and cylinder. Bollards will slow them down but if they get in the house for the car keys they will also get the keys to the bollards. You could secure the car with an Autowatch Ghost.

That Ghost looks very effective. I guess depending on how much they want it would they come back in the house if you were upstairs, probably a very small likelihood.

For £400 looks better value than trying make your house like fort knox!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

mattwilko92

« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2017, 20:17 »
My thoughts on the ghost products and alike are if the scumbags are in my house, what makes you think they wont drag you out of bed for the code?

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2017, 20:46 »
My thoughts on the ghost products and alike are if the scumbags are in my house, what makes you think they wont drag you out of bed for the code?

By which time you’ve called the police, like they will want to hang about to get the code...
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2017, 21:27 »
I'm sure the Ghost is good for what it is, but it's not a substitute for a secure house. If you're going to get one it should be as well as rather than instead of. If the thieving feckers are determined enough get past a burglar alarm, the composite front and rear doors, the upgraded locks etc, chances are they're not shy and i'd much rather they took the car before they threaten me or my family.

Risking it on whether or not they'll come back for the code is a dangerous game given you cannot predict how quickly the police will respond. If they're there in 2 minutes then great, but if it takes them 20 minutes that will probably be too late.

Make it a big struggle for them to get in, but if they manage to then don't give them another decision to make before they leave.
7.5 GTD

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2017, 22:11 »
We benefit from having to park in the street. The baddies would have to try around 80 houses to find the key!