Author Topic: Weird behaviour when I get out with the ignition on.  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Weird behaviour when I get out with the ignition on.
« on: 16 November 2017, 13:49 »
Here's a weird one...

I've got a 2014 GTI PP with Keyless Entry (that's not the weird bit).

I reverse into my garage at home as it's easier to get in/out the car, so when I get home I take the following actions, sometimes in very quick succession:-

1. Reverse onto the drive.
2. Stop (auto hold comes on).
3. Seat belt off (handbrake comes on).
4. Open Door.
5. Get out to open the garage (with the car key).

...then reverse in etc.

Now most of the time the car keeps the ignition on. The radio and the lights stay on. I sometimes get the 'bong' telling me it can't find the ignition key but it keeps the ignition on (as normal).

However approximately 25% of the time, the car turns the ignition off. I've since consciously made sure I'm not pressing the start/stop button to be turning it off myself when I get out, it just seems strange it varies between the 2 actions.

Anyone else have this happen? Doesn't seem to do it if I take my time over it though.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Weird behaviour when I get out with the ignition on.
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2017, 18:21 »
Here's a weird one...

I reverse into my garage at home as it's easier to get in/out the car, so when I get home I take the following actions, sometimes in very quick succession:-

4. Open Door.

...then reverse in etc.

Now most of the time the car keeps the ignition on. The radio and the lights stay on. I sometimes get the 'bong' telling me it can't find the ignition key but it keeps the ignition on (as normal).

However approximately 25% of the time, the car turns the ignition off. I've since consciously made sure I'm not pressing the start/stop button to be turning it off myself when I get out, it just seems strange it varies between the 2 actions.

Anyone else have this happen? Doesn't seem to do it if I take my time over it though.

I've gotten out of the car loads of times and walked away from it but never has the car stopped. It always tells me thought that the key is missing, even if I get out and get something out of the boot
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2017, 18:42 »
Here's a weird one...

4. Open Door.

...then reverse in etc.

I've gotten out of the car loads of times and walked away from it but never has the car stopped. It always tells me thought that the key is missing, even if I get out and get something out of the boot

It's properly weird, I thought initially I was being daft and pressing the start/stop button without realising but having made a conscious effort not to, it still does it. Admittedly there's a lot worse things to worry about but just wondered.

Maybe it's something that only affects snowflakes lol :wink:
« Last Edit: 16 November 2017, 18:55 by Gnasher »
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2017, 19:00 »
my new 7.5s stop start just doesn't work at all at the mo. even front assist is not working.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2017, 20:45 »
Here's a weird one...

4. Open Door.

...then reverse in etc.

It's properly weird, I thought initially I was being daft and pressing the start/stop button without realising but having made a conscious effort not to, it still does it. Admittedly there's a lot worse things to worry about but just wondered.

Get an electric garage door. You won’t then have to get out your car. Sorted.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2017, 21:04 »
Here's a weird one...

4. Open Door.

...then reverse in etc.

That just can't be right.

PM sent

Offline Hebegeebee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2017, 21:37 »
Isn't this just the auto stop/start working. Do you notice when it doesn't stop the A within a circle with a line through it comes up on the central instrument display. I take it that this means the auto stop/start is disabled.
This exact same scenario happens in my wife's car and it is erratic as to whether it will stay on or switch off.
Picked up 03/Nov/2017 - GTi-P, White silver, 5dr., Manual with extras

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2017, 22:28 »
Isn't this just the auto stop/start working. Do you notice when it doesn't stop the A within a circle with a line through it comes up on the central instrument display. I take it that this means the auto stop/start is disabled.
This exact same scenario happens in my wife's car and it is erratic as to whether it will stay on or switch off.
This was my thought also.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2017, 22:43 »

Auto start stop doesnt work with the door open or handbrake on which comes on when you open the door.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2017, 08:06 »

Auto start stop doesnt work with the door open or handbrake on which comes on when you open the door.

To answer both, it's definitely turning itself all the way off (sometimes) - otherwise the radio would stay on. I'll have a go today and see if it does anything different if stop/start has (or hasn't) kicked in. Could it be that it's programmed to do something different if the engine has been stopped by the stop/start and you do everything you would normally do to get out the car except hit the stop/start button?

My only other thought is that I do quite a bit of stuff at the same time (seat belt off, open door etc.) and if this occours at the same time stop/start kicks in, it (not the technical term, I know) confuses the car with the different signals flowing round the car - it's probably going to get worse in cars as everything now runs on a data bus rather than being switches turning on/off the individual items.