Author Topic: Rear camera worth it?  (Read 11684 times)

physio

Re: Rear camera worth it?
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2017, 08:47 »
Had it on my last 3 vws   Always my first option
the fact that it’s behind the VW badge means that it’s alwaus clean when you need it 👍

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2017, 09:32 »
Had one on my C Class as its std fit and probably one of the highest quality cameras and like the VW, hidden away so it never gets dirty unlike pretty much every other car. Not got one on the GTI and not missed it to be honest. The Golf is quite small and very easy to park and the back window is the end of the car unlike a saloon for example. The sensors are great so I guess as the saying goes, you pays your money....
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2017, 10:04 »
I was sceptical when i first added it as an option on my previous Golf GTI.  But I will not be without it now.  An  essential option to add to your car in my opinion.  I use both looking out of windows/in mirrors and at the camera at same time for reversing.  It's just like having an extra mirror to look at which is out of your normal field of view.  Great to use when reversing up to low walls or in a busy areas with small children and objects such as trolleys around such as car parks.  I also find it is an asset on cold mornings when the mirrors are unusable until they have dried off/heated up. 

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2017, 10:15 »
I have it on my car. Really useful for not reversing over my neighbour’s cat who seems to like sleeping and sunbathing on my driveway when the weather’s warm and sunny :smiley:.

Not a substitute for using your mirrors and windows when reversing, but as others have said, a useful additional aid to see those low down objects behind the car that are out of your field of vision.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #14 on: 11 November 2017, 12:17 »
It's very useful, if only for checking there's nothing straight behind the car that's too low to see out the window. It'll probably be cheaper than replacing the rear bumper if it saves you reversing over a bike or something.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2017, 12:42 »
I couldn't be without it anymore, rely on it for tight parallel parking and general reversing as pointed out objects at ground level. The sensors beep so much at relatively distant objects one tends to not take absolute notice. I think it's good value all things considered, unlike most other extras!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2017, 13:07 »
On some cars it's a must have like on my CC but on a Golf no there is no need at all for one.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2017, 13:50 »
Of course!, is one of the best option!. Hate Parking sensors, with this you see exactly how close you are :) I can attach my trailer without adjust it  :wink:

In the US..

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/u-s-requiring-back-up-cameras-in-cars-by-2018/
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 13:54 by Wide »
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 11 November 2017, 18:09 »
Love it...I use it to double-check that I definitely definitely definitely have put my security bollard down...
Sensors are beeping anyway due to proximity of my sons car. Trouble is it has spoilt me for when I drive a car without...

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #19 on: 11 November 2017, 18:18 »
It's a great piece of kit and I'm very glad that I decided to spec it.
I'm not sure how much it costs now but it was pretty cheap when I got my car so was a no brainer really.
I would imagine it's even better on the larger screens of the facelift models :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16