Author Topic: hesitation.....in first  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
hesitation.....in first
« on: 22 September 2017, 10:26 »
When i pull away in 1st gear i feel a slight sluggish hesitation into 2nd nice and smooth.......is this a characteristic of a diesel or something else ? I ask because my mini did this and i thought something was amiss but then i had many EGR/DPF issues with the car so i think the slightest change in how it drove set warning bells off

Anyone else have this when pulling away in 1st very little power but then fine once into 2nd

TIA

Jeni

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: hesitation.....in first
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2017, 11:36 »
First is pretty short on the GTD. You don't want to hold it long and certainly not red line it. You have so much torque that changing up to second pretty much as soon as you move is fine.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2017, 12:48 »
First is pretty short on the GTD. You don't want to hold it long and certainly not red line it. You have so much torque that changing up to second pretty much as soon as you move is fine.

Great thanks for that :)

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2017, 02:03 »
Sounds a bit odd. If you weren't in a GTD I'd say lack of inherent torque in the slightly little boosty 4, but you are, so that ought not to be an issue.

Torque limiter, spongy throttle & bang ordinary gearbox (and the odd other thing)?

Even in a petrol, first is very much too much or a gear I don't want to be in when second should really be fine, but isn't. If only bits of cars could be combined  :sad:.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2017, 13:46 »
I've always been of the suspicion that VW limit the torque on new engines until around 1000km have been reached. They always seem sluggish at first.
My GTD seemed very tight from new and I have to agree with you that first gear did feel very hesitant even after around 800 miles.
Diesels are generally higher geared to make up for the lower revving nature of the engines. The abundant torque is perfect for wafting along on a handful of revs so it is a bit puzzling why first gear is so short and tight.

There is one thing that will help lessen that feel, a name you will see time and again on the forum - a pedalbox!
These things turn the mk7 from feeling like a bumbling leviathan into something altogether more lithe and responsive.
A Diesel engine will always be a Diesel engine but having an engine that works with you instead of feeling like it's holding you back is the trick. The 184 TDI is a very good engine and the pedalbox will help you feel more at one with it.

Andrew@DTUK, please feel free to leave small sums of cash in brown envelopes on my doorstep...  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner