Author Topic: Silly question........apologies in advance  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Silly question........apologies in advance
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2017, 17:07 »
I'm with Brenbo in the Autohold camp.  Autohold on always, except for times when you might need to make miniscule parking manoeuvres but even then I leave it on.   I haven't touched the handbrake in my R since the first week of getting it.  I daily have to park at the top of a hill at work and I've never come out to find my car at the bottom of the car park - it's always where I left it.  :laugh:  If you use Autohold feature  - on the lower DIS it will show green handbrake symbol to show AH is engaged for instance at traffic lights etc, and then when you park up it will show red handbrake symbol.  So a quick visual check is all that's needed.   I was a massive electronic handbrake sceptic prior to getting a mk7 - that lasted less than a day.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2017, 17:54 »
Was going to say that if you have auto hold on and press the start stop the handbrake goes on automatically

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2017, 17:59 »
I was also an autohold/auto handbrake sceptic but it has been excellent! Once set up properly it really is a forget it system and it sorts everything out for you perfectly. The green handbrake symbol below the dials is autohold and when red the handbrake is fully on (usually only when you switch the engine off). The manual does also say to leave in gear too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2017, 18:01 »
Pull up hand brakes have problems too, in the fact if you get the rear brakes nice and hot then park up it's been known the car can roll when the brakes cool and contract, letting them roll, exactly the same with the new ones, if worried just learn to leave it in gear (as someone else has posted)

I always leave in gear anyway so belt and braces it is :)

Ah! Yet another reason for DSG :wink:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2017, 18:28 »
Autohold is fine - even on steep ramps in multistory car parks.

I know its a bit of a leap to trust it, but do.

Basically you don't need to touch anything at all ever.... you'll notice it most when you jump in another car without it... I almost burnt the wife's handbrake out in her Fiesta after popping down the garage with it.... hmmm whats that burning smell... hmmm I did think it was a bit sluggish even for a 1.1 fiesta...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2017, 18:33 »
I'm with Brenbo in the Autohold camp.  Autohold on always, except for times when you might need to make miniscule parking manoeuvres but even then I leave it on.   I haven't touched the handbrake in my R since the first week of getting it.  I daily have to park at the top of a hill at work and I've never come out to find my car at the bottom of the car park - it's always where I left it.  :laugh:  If you use Autohold feature  - on the lower DIS it will show green handbrake symbol to show AH is engaged for instance at traffic lights etc, and then when you park up it will show red handbrake symbol.  So a quick visual check is all that's needed.   I was a massive electronic handbrake sceptic prior to getting a mk7 - that lasted less than a day.   

You and I both, but I couldn't imagine buying a car without it now!  DSG/auto OTOH... :grin:
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2017, 19:01 »
Funny really - my current and last Mk.7 were DSG but I have never used Autohold!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2017, 20:27 »
Funny really - my current and last Mk.7 were DSG but I have never used Autohold!

You can take your foot off the brake pedal when stoped if you use auto hold with DSG
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2017, 23:31 »
If you don't use Autohold you are missing out on one of the best bits of tech on the mk7 imo. I'm afraid can't say the same about Stop Start.   :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2017, 06:44 »

You can take your foot off the brake pedal when stoped if you use auto hold with DSG
You can do the same in the manual.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.