Author Topic: New car dealer mistake  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Moots

• Not said much yet
New car dealer mistake
« on: 15 September 2017, 18:50 »
Went to collect my new Gti today, when I arrived I was told that both sets of keys have been lost. They've given me a gtd to drive around until the issue is sorted and said they'll throw in a sweetener to ease things over.

What should I be pushing for realistically, is it unreasonable to expect something decent like autoglym/full tank of petrol and mats (not sure if they come as standard)

Or am I going to get fobbed off with something even though they've wasted my day and made them self look like a total set of amateurs?

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: New car dealer mistake
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2017, 19:07 »
First I'd want to know how many keys can be coded to the car, some car makers can have 3 and if this is the case with VW I'd want all 3 just to be sure nobody has the 3rd key.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Moots

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2017, 19:10 »
They only ever give out 2 I believe, or did with my gtd. so not really worried about that. Think that they've either locked them in the car, or one of the service team has them in his pocket. If they can't find them then they're replacing the locks.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2017, 19:14 »
They only ever give out 2 I believe, or did with my gtd. so not really worried about that. Think that they've either locked them in the car, or one of the service team has them in his pocket. If they can't find them then they're replacing the locks.

I'm not talking about how many are given with the car(it's two) I'm talking about how what the limit is of the amount of keys that can be programmed without the others being unprogramed.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2017, 19:25 »
You should be getting mats as standard and no reason why a tank of fuel shouldn't be included too. It could be a genuine mistake but I would be kicking off if they were replacing the locks on my brand new car!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2017, 19:48 »
What should I be pushing for realistically, is it unreasonable to expect something decent like autoglym/full tank of petrol and mats (not sure if they come as standard)

Mats are standard in the GTI. Don't push for the Autoglym Lifeshine treatment to be applied; it increases the risk of the dealer inflicting swirls on your paintwork and IMO the dealer doesn't allocate enough time for it to be done properly. I think I'd push for a full tank of petrol and the first two services free (so a free service plan).   
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Moots

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2017, 20:55 »
I've already paid for the service plan, so might ask for a refund on that. Will have a look at what's available.

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2017, 21:19 »
First I'd want to know how many keys can be coded to the car, some car makers can have 3 and if this is the case with VW I'd want all 3 just to be sure nobody has the 3rd key.

When keys are coded to current VW models only keys present are coded to the car, so any previous keys are removed from key memory.

So in this case, both previous keys would no longer work and only the one, or pair of new keys coded at the time would work.

Keys are 50% coded from factory as they are ordered to chassis, and when they arrive at dealer they are then 50% coded to match up with that car. The key can only be coded to that car and would not work if attempted to code to any other vehicle.

Worth noting if keys have been lost, I would also request that the remaining lockset is changed. On a 7.5 GTI the only physical key lock is the passenger door, the existing lost keys would fit in the ignition barrel (you could request this is changed but would involve much more work, not worth it IMO) but would not start the car as they would have lost their coding to the car.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2017, 21:26 »

When keys are coded to current VW models only keys present are coded to the car, so any previous keys are removed from key memory.

So in this case, both previous keys would no longer work and only the one, or pair of new keys coded at the time would work.

Keys are 50% coded from factory as they are ordered to chassis, and when they arrive at dealer they are then 50% coded to match up with that car. The key can only be coded to that car and would not work if attempted to code to any other vehicle.

Worth noting if keys have been lost, I would also request that the remaining lockset is changed. On a 7.5 GTI the only physical key lock is the passenger door, the existing lost keys would fit in the ignition barrel (you could request this is changed but would involve much more work, not worth it IMO) but would not start the car as they would have lost their coding to the car.

Good info and good to know.

Btw any chance in some side shots of your Mk7.5, not necessarily on this thread? Love your car and colour.

Offline Moots

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2017, 15:35 »
They've ordered one more key as they think they've locked the first 2 in the boot.

If they haven't they said they'd give me the new one to get me in the car, pointed out that if they aren't in there then there's 2 keys somewhere that can open and start my car.

Still waiting to find out what they plan to do now if they're not there. It'll take 5-10 days, so I won't be seeing the car for a while yet.

Frustrating, also worrying if they think it's acceptable to just lose some keys then replace them, anyone could have nicked them and walked away with them.