Author Topic: Remapped GTD to GTI PP  (Read 4012 times)

Offline jonny2410

• Not said much yet
Remapped GTD to GTI PP
« on: 26 July 2017, 16:53 »

Hi there,

I am taking delivery of a MK7.5 GTI PP DSG hopefully next month, having previously had a remapped MK7 GTD DSG.

My question is what sort of difference will I feel between the two cars? Obviously my remapped GTD had near enough 500nm torque so this will be noticeable straightaway, yet the GTI has more BHP (242) as opposed to my GTD (which was on about 230 remapped) and is lighter with more rpm.

Will the GTI actually feel slower or will it still be capable of surpassing a remapped GTD?

Offline Fewie

• Not said much yet
Re: Remapped GTD to GTI PP
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2017, 17:44 »
I think the GTI PP will feel quicker, the one I test drove (a 230 pre facelift) felt quicker the my octavia vRS which has the VAG 184 diesel and that has a tuning box fitted (240bhp & 500nm).  I love my vRS for instant torque but the lack of rev range makes it hard to enjoy
MK7.5 Golf GTI in Isaac Blue with Performance Pack, 19" Brescia's, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera & Climate Screen, ordered 16/05/17.  Counting down the days to collection on September 2nd

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2017, 19:54 »
i've not driven a DSG GTD with a tuning box or spent any meaningful time with a DSG GTI but I've spent a bit of time with their manual counterparts.
The boxed GTD has the grunt (however i'm not sure how much the DSG masks this) out of junctions and off roundabouts but the GTI (of which I've owned a GTI PP and driven in both standard and DTUK boxed form, plus a Clubsport and an R) feels a lot more peppy and revs far more willingly.
The boxed GTD will feel significantly faster in gear at normal road speeds but the GTI will feel a bit more satisfying to drive as an allrounder.
The handling of the PP is sublime when you're pushing into a corner.
Initially you'll want to lift off as you'll be used to the GTD torque pushing it a bit wide or spinning up the inside wheel. Once you've got used to the GTI PP you'll find that you can just blast around corners without lifting off as the VAQ works best when you apply torque (acceleration) where it will shift the power to the wheel less likely to spin. It's a bit like 4WD working in side to side motion rather than front back so rather than the R's superiority in a straight line sprint front a standing start the PP diff performs its magic in the bends. Obviously just like an R the tyres will determine the limit in extremis but compared to the high torque GTD that has less sophisticated traction control the PP will really hold its speed through bends and corners.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jonny2410

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2017, 20:22 »
Cheers guys!

I am also thinking that since the PP has the newer 7 speed DSG box that this should help, at least somewhat. Plus the fact that most GTIs seem to dyno from stock around 255-260bhp anyway.

As with most my cars I do remap them, I imagine the GTI PP will be a totally different animal when mapped. 

Offline Fewie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2017, 21:19 »
Cheers guys!

I am also thinking that since the PP has the newer 7 speed DSG box that this should help, at least somewhat. Plus the fact that most GTIs seem to dyno from stock around 255-260bhp anyway.

As with most my cars I do remap them, I imagine the GTI PP will be a totally different animal when mapped.

Interesting about the "stock" performance figures, are those figures for the 230?

Slightly off topic, do we know the difference between the standard GTI and the PP engine wise? Is it a map or are there physical differences?

MK7.5 Golf GTI in Isaac Blue with Performance Pack, 19" Brescia's, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera & Climate Screen, ordered 16/05/17.  Counting down the days to collection on September 2nd

Offline jonny2410

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2017, 21:26 »
Cheers guys!

Interesting about the "stock" performance figures, are those figures for the 230?

Slightly off topic, do we know the difference between the standard GTI and the PP engine wise? Is it a map or are there physical differences?

I would also love to know what the differences are between the two engines. I am presuming there must be a few things considering the PP engine has the 7 speed and so does the new R as well.

In regard to the dyno figures, that is based on the old 230 PP. Superchips dyno’d theirs as 261 bhp stock, with their remap making 310 bhp.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2017, 21:28 by jonny2410 »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2017, 21:58 »
I've got a manual pp on a 66 plate so not the newer hp and it feels and is a much quicker car than the gtd I had before. Gtd was good but the gti is a much much nicer drive and you never feel like you'll run out of breath like you do on the gtd.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2017, 23:00 »
(crap - double post)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2017, 23:03 by scanesare »

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2017, 23:02 »
There is no hardware difference between the engines of GTI and GTI PP, the 15 extra hp naturally come just from slightly different software, much like it was with the pre-facelift models. What could make a difference is the turbo but they both run the smaller IS20 turbo as opposed to the IS38 in the Clubsport and R. I remember someone a while ago asking maybe now with 245 get the bigger IS38 as well?  :grin:  but clearly that was never going to happen. VW (think they) know how to not upset their customers.

However, back to OP, I guess you are mapping/boxing the 7.5 too which should bring you roughly to 310 and 440Nm? It will feel much faster than the GTD then  :tongue:
« Last Edit: 26 July 2017, 23:05 by scanesare »

Offline jonny2410

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2017, 12:57 »
There is no hardware difference between the engines of GTI and GTI PP, the 15 extra hp naturally come just from slightly different software, much like it was with the pre-facelift models. What could make a difference is the turbo but they both run the smaller IS20 turbo as opposed to the IS38 in the Clubsport and R. I remember someone a while ago asking maybe now with 245 get the bigger IS38 as well?  :grin:  but clearly that was never going to happen. VW (think they) know how to not upset their customers.

However, back to OP, I guess you are mapping/boxing the 7.5 too which should bring you roughly to 310 and 440Nm? It will feel much faster than the GTD then  :tongue:

Yes I do plan eventually to bluefin the Mk7.5 - according to their stats it would make 310 bhp and 461nm .... not too shabby!  :evil: