Author Topic: Requsting wheels outwith configurator  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
Requsting wheels outwith configurator
« on: 26 July 2017, 10:32 »
Hi all
Ordered my Mk7.5 GTI Performance yesterday.
Only thing which gave me a decision problem was the wheels as I really wanted the Pretoria version.
Dealer and VW customer services told me changes to the configuration cannot be done but I have also been told some requests for factory changes do go ahead.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this.
Have gone for the 'Parker' wheels at the present time.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Requsting wheels outwith configurator
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2017, 11:53 »
Unfortunately, the Pretorias aren't available as a factory fit option on the Golf GTI. Other wheel options from the factory are as per the configurator; 18" Seville in anthracite finish with red edge, 19" Brescia (diamond cut finish) or 19" Santiago (diamond cut finish).

It is possible to change the spec of your order; i.e. You can change the colour and the options that are listed for your specific model, but this has to be done before the build date is confirmed by the factory. Once the build date has been confirmed, the build is 'locked down' and the vehicle spec can't be changed. Bear in mind that changing some aspects of the spec after placing the initial order can impact the build and delivery timescales.

There's nothing to stop you buying a set of Pretorias separately and fitting these when you've got the car, although a set of 19" VW Pretorias bought separately are very expensive, and used ones don't seem to come up very often. Pretorias are also now available in 18" size; part no. 5G0073148G 88Z - bright silver powder coated finish or 5G0073148G AX1 - gloss black powder coated finish. Both are 7.5J x18" with an offset of ET51. The 19" version are; part no. 5G0601025AJ, 8J x 19", offset ET50. You might be able to negotiate a good discount on a set from your dealer as you're buying a new car.

Rather than VW Pretorias, you could always consider getting a set of good quality wheels from a reputable manufacturer, which could work out cheaper. Personally, I'd avoid cheap replicas from China and stick to wheels that have TUV approval.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2017, 12:21 »
SRGTD's post above is pretty much spot on.

If the GTI wheel choice doesn't suit, then i'd go either for genuine accessory wheels from VW or buy some made by a reputable OEM manufacturer such as Borbet, Ronal, BBS, VW Racing etc. Avoid cheap replicas.

A genuine new set of 19 inch flow formed Pretoria's will cost about £2.5k, although the 18 inch cast versions can be had off ebay for about £1k. These would have the added benefit of not needing to buy new tyres and you could swap them back and sell on when you're finished with the car.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2017, 12:24 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2017, 18:05 »
SRGDT and Guzzle, thanks for your replies.
I was totally unaware you could get 18'' Pretoria and your info supplied is extremely helpful. I do try to find things (in general) on the internet but my adult kids keep telling me I put in the wrong search info. It's an age thing.
I love and look after my cars so would not go down the cheap replica route and I have had VW Racing wheels on previous cars so they will also be a consideration.
Thanks again.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2017, 18:19 »
Just one more thing I forgot to mention, if you decide to go for the 18 inch Pretoria's, these are available in black or bright silver. The 19 inch versions are black or light grey.
7.5 GTD