Author Topic: How do I reduce the appearance of this? (Alloy chip)  (Read 3659 times)

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
So after 4k miles I have noticed this on one of my alloys:

What would be the best line of attack for this damage to reduce the chances of white worm?

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: How do I reduce the appearance of this? (Alloy chip)
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2017, 19:39 »
A blob of clear lacquer from a touch in kit should seal it up.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2017, 20:09 »

Make sure the area is completely clean and dry before applying the lacquer so you get good adhesion of the lacquer to the damaged area.

If it was me, I'd attend to it sooner rather than later; if it's left as it is, there's a risk of white worm corrosion setting in if water gets under the damaged lacquered surface. You could then be looking at a wheel refurb costing around £80 or more.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2017, 22:45 »

Make sure the area is completely clean and dry before applying the lacquer so you get good adhesion of the lacquer to the damaged area.

If it was me, I'd attend to it sooner rather than later; if it's left as it is, there's a risk of white worm corrosion setting in if water gets under the damaged lacquered surface. You could then be looking at a wheel refurb costing around £80 or more.

sh!t, I have just done a 3 hour drive in the rain and then it's going to sit until the weekend before I'll have chance to get some lacquer on it. It can't be helped though I suppose.

I'll give it my best shot once I'm back home this weekend, thanks for the advice :smiley:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2017, 06:55 »
Clear nail polish...for a interim quick fix.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2017, 08:57 »
wouldn't silver nail polish be better, clear will continue to show the problem but protect it?!

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2017, 10:21 »
wouldn't silver nail polish be better, clear will continue to show the problem but protect it?!

Clear would be better as the majority of that mark will be in the clearcoat of the wheel. If you fill it with lacquer it will hopefully be virtually invisible.

When I touched up a very similar mark on one of my Austin wheels, I let the lacquer dry and went over it with some 2500 grit wet and dry then some G3 cutting compound. Didn't make it perfectly flat as I was worried about going all the way through the existing clearcoat but it looked loads better.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2017, 12:28 »

Clear would be better as the majority of that mark will be in the clearcoat of the wheel. If you fill it with lacquer it will hopefully be virtually invisible.

When I touched up a very similar mark on one of my Austin wheels, I let the lacquer dry and went over it with some 2500 grit wet and dry then some G3 cutting compound. Didn't make it perfectly flat as I was worried about going all the way through the existing clearcoat but it looked loads better.

Would you recommend to remove the wheel and lacquer it when flat or did you do it whilst it was still on the car?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2017, 12:47 »
Should be fine to do it on the car. It's no different really to touching up a stone chip in the paint on a vertical body panel.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2017, 13:34 »
I did mine on the car with no issues - I did remove the wheels to smooth the blob of lacquer afterwards but only so I could pop the wheel on the bench to make it easier though.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!