Author Topic: Golf Facelift Reverse Lights  (Read 6064 times)

Offline jonny2410

• Not said much yet
Golf Facelift Reverse Lights
« on: 21 July 2017, 09:05 »

Hi Guys,

Currently have a Mk7 GTD and I am awaiting a Mk7.5 GTI PP very soon (...fingers crossed).

In my GTD the reversing lights are quite frankly very poor (average halogens with not much brightness).

Does anyone know what they are like on the Mk7.5 considering the whole tail light unit is LED now?

You see some of the LED reverse lights on new Mercedes or BMWs and they are really, really bright white - was hoping for something similar!

Cheers

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf Facelift Reverse Lights
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2017, 09:47 »
They're LED.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2017, 09:49 »

Hi Guys,

Currently have a Mk7 GTD and I am awaiting a Mk7.5 GTI PP very soon (...fingers crossed).

In my GTD the reversing lights are quite frankly very poor (average halogens with not much brightness).

Does anyone know what they are like on the Mk7.5 considering the whole tail light unit is LED now?

You see some of the LED reverse lights on new Mercedes or BMWs and they are really, really bright white - was hoping for something similar!

Cheers

I think they are pretty poor.... :sad:

But i always look in the revers camera, and that is awsome!  :wink:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline jonny2410

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2017, 10:11 »

Thanks guys, I did replace my current GTD bulbs with LEDs but because the reverse lights use such a small bulb fitment you cannot really buy any LED bulbs with much power output.

Heres to hoping the Mk7.5 uses a different bulb fit...!

Offline Hebegeebee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2017, 16:37 »
Heres to hoping the Mk7.5 uses a different bulb fit...!
[/quote

I'm guessing here but I'd say you won't be able to replace the mk7.5's LEDs with more powerful LEDs as they'll be on a board but you should be able to alter their brightness via VCDS.

Best of luck with the new PP, I'm waiting on one myself.
Picked up 03/Nov/2017 - GTi-P, White silver, 5dr., Manual with extras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2017, 19:23 »
Can't say exactly how bright they are at night, but they look cool  :cool:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2017, 19:49 »
I think the combination of small reversing lights and rear tints isn't a great combination for reversing in the dark, especially for anyone who's opted for the 90% tints.

I find in my car (Polo GTI) that the reversing camera helps. It's positioned just above the number plate so at night, the image from the camera benefits from the LED number plate lights illuminating the ground behind the car, so the image on the infotainment screen is quite well lit.

On the mk7 / 7.5 Golf, with the position of the reversing camera being behind the tailgate handle (so further away from the number plate and higher up from the road), I don't know if the number plate lights would provide a similar light enhancement to the camera image. Perhaps someone with a reversing camera could provide an insight?
« Last Edit: 21 July 2017, 19:52 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2017, 20:08 »
I didn't think reversing lights had a designed practical purpose. If they did then they'd be bigger and on both sides. No, their only purpose is to inform other road users of your unusual direction of travel.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2017, 20:26 »
I have LED reversing lights and also coded my high level brake light to come on in reverse. You should be able to do that with the facelift.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2017, 21:14 »
I didn't think reversing lights had a designed practical purpose. If they did then they'd be bigger and on both sides. No, their only purpose is to inform other road users of your unusual direction of travel.

They are actually on both sides now on the Golf. But yes, don't think most people reply on them as a source of seeing where they are going when reversing.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey