Author Topic: Bridgestone Potenza s001 vs Continental Sport Contact 5 's tyres  (Read 13612 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
I've just come back today from a place called Resipole in Scotland and the rain was really belting down today. It's single track roads from where I stayed to the ferry to Corran and had quite a few stamps on the brakes for Johnny Foreigner coming the other way as they obviously don't understand how passing places work. No Abs, no skids no loss of traction so I'm still unsure as to how many people say the Bridgestones are dangerous. Soaking wet gready roads coming back down through Loch Lomond and still no loss of traction or dramas. I'm not saying they are the best tyre and I'm 100% certain Michelin and Continental will be a better tyre come change time but they are a decent tyre and I've had no issues at all. I'm wondering if the PP helps negate any issues that others may be having?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
The Bridgestones are actually not too bad, they need temperature. As for someone saying it's summer temperatures - most of Europe has warmer springs than the UK summers.
Once the Potenzas are up to temp (almost hot to touch) they grip incredibly well, though they are still quite noisy. You are unlikely to get them hot enough though on short trips on this rainy little rock in the Atlantic. Takes me a few miles and that's only if the thermometer shows over 25.

For tyres, I had a few different ones on my mk7s so far.

Bridgestone Potenza - poor grip cold, not the very best wet grip (wheel spin) but reasonably good around corners even in the wet, seems quite hard wearing, only beaten by the P7 below for wear. Incredible grip once up to temperature.

Pirelli P7 - hard as feck, long lasting but little grip, worst wet grip (even worse than the Potenzas) at least in 225 45 17 (they are more suited to my partner's mk6 1.6 TDI in 205 55 16).

Dunlop Sportmaxx RT - well, they are soft and sticky at even quite cold temperatures, almost my preferred tyre, performance dropped towards last third of its life. More so than other tyres; on a road trip with very long distance driving on hot tarmac you start to feel it's loosing out on grip (gets too soft).

Conti Sport Contact 5, good all rounder, a very German tyre that way if you like. Decent grip even at moderate temperatures but I found it to get a bit noisy towards the end.

Avon IceTouring ST (winter tyres): After reading reviews I was positively surprised, though I would not buy again. Very bad for wear, but decent traction on snow (used for winter holidays on the good old continent).

Michelin Alpin A4 (winter tyres, i.e. the old model, A5 is current): Good grip and hell they are good for wear, got more mileage out of them than on hard summer tyres, despite driving them in the dry (read: rainy UK). Work well in snow too. Almost got some of these again, but wanted non-directional ones.... which led me to buy the Nokians. Well and they were on H speed rating (130mph)

Nokian WR A4 (winter tyres): Great grip (tested briefly on front), good for wear so far (only drove 10k miles with them on the back). Got them as they are non directional ones, and have a higher speed rating (think V = 149mph).

Will get the Michelins replaced by another pair of those after this winter, already wanted some last year but then got 10k miles with only 1mm wear on the Michelins (on the front!), which leaves them still over 4mm - legal min tread for winter tyres where I go. Not worth chucking out yet only so I can do the cars top speed....

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
No Abs, no skids no loss of traction so I'm still unsure as to how many people say the Bridgestones are dangerous. Soaking wet gready roads coming back down through Loch Lomond and still no loss of traction or dramas.
I've been up Fort William direction a few times, back when I had my motorbike.  :cool:

Good to know the Bridgestones will work ok when it is warm and wet. The temperatures are mid teens there at the moment. Wait until the winter comes.

In my experience soaking wet roads are not greasy. When it starts raining - on damp roads a layer of oil will lift which makes the surface greasy. I have had 2 minor accidents in these conditions. On both occasions I believe poor tyres were a contributing factor. On soaking wet roads that oil layer is quickly washed away. Though the road can look slick between heavy showers.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 09:26 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
 ' I believe poor tyres were a contributing factor.' Your honour :embarrassed:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
I've just come back today from a place called Resipole in Scotland and the rain was really belting down today. It's single track roads from where I stayed to the ferry to Corran and had quite a few stamps on the brakes for Johnny Foreigner coming the other way as they obviously don't understand how passing places work. No Abs, no skids no loss of traction so I'm still unsure as to how many people say the Bridgestones are dangerous. Soaking wet gready roads coming back down through Loch Lomond and still no loss of traction or dramas. I'm not saying they are the best tyre and I'm 100% certain Michelin and Continental will be a better tyre come change time but they are a decent tyre and I've had no issues at all. I'm wondering if the PP helps negate any issues that others may be having?

I also never had any issue in daily driving where you barely (shouldn't) go anywhere near the tyres and chassis limits. But if all the driving I did was like that I wouldn't have gone with a car like the GTI (well the Clubsport actually). It's when you want to have some fun and start to push more that their weaknesses rise. Even then it's not that they make the car dangerous but they deprive you of that last 10-20% of the performance the car could offer on a better tyre.

On the Clubsport at least with the extra power and the more focused chassis that inaccessible top end is maybe even more, as it's obvious that the car could accept more pushing if the Bridgestones didn't give in before that. A friend with a CS in Germany that is over-sensitive about suspension and road feed-back changed from Bridgestones to MPSS in the first week and he was swearing it changed the car in every way.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
' I believe poor tyres were a contributing factor.' Your honour :embarrassed:
... minor accidents... nobody else involved... both cases it had just started to rain... case 1, high sided off a bike after rear tyre lost grip then found it again, on a greasy motorway exit... case 2, slammed on brakes too late wheels locked up and slid through a junction, the car didn't slow down at all on those tyres :angry: That was my wife's Mk5 Golf. I will never accepted a tyre recommendation from a tyre fitter again.

After the bike accident I noticed on a bike forum that there were many complaints about the OEM Dunlop tyres in cold wet conditions.

After the car accident I read about the difference between top brand tyres and ditch finders in all conditions.

Both accidents were my fault. Though I did expect the tyres should have performed better.

These accidents have made me realise the importance of really good tyres. I have a lot more confidence in the tyres fitted to both our cars now. Having an accident really does focus the mind.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 17:12 by Daz Auto »

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
I also never had any issue in daily driving where you barely (shouldn't) go anywhere near the tyres and chassis limits. But if all the driving I did was like that I wouldn't have gone with a car like the GTI (well the Clubsport actually). It's when you want to have some fun and start to push more that their weaknesses rise. Even then it's not that they make the car dangerous but they deprive you of that last 10-20% of the performance the car could offer on a better tyre.
I'm sure there was a review of the Mk7 on youtube and the tyres were mentioned. The guy said something like - this car is not good at pushing into bends, but it is not actually the car, the tyres just 'give up'.

Must see if I can find it.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
I'm sure there was a review of the Mk7 on youtube and the tyres were mentioned. The guy said something like - this car is not good at pushing into bends, but it is not actually the car, the tyres just 'give up'.

Must see if I can find it.

Nice, that echoes exactly how I feel when pushing the car.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
Found it! One of the guys mentions the tyres 3 times.

At 2:35 mins, "com'on underseer really! It's not the car, it is the tires. I'm confident of that."

Then just after 4 minutes he said, "I hate these tires, they just give up!"

At 4:45 mins, "Tires gave up again!"

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXJR_Km0mA

It says in the description the tires are Bridgestone Potenza S0001s :huh:

This review says the car has Bridgestone Potenzas at 7:55 minutes in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_AWLwGAVVs
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 21:30 by Daz Auto »

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
To be honest if you watch the first video it's the same corner on both occasions and the same driver. I can't see the car twitch or anything, also weirdly look at the way they drive... What did my track day instructor tell me? Use all of the road ;)
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles