Author Topic: Tuning boxes now detectable  (Read 16339 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Tuning boxes now detectable
« on: 19 July 2017, 16:13 »
Even if the box has been removed, the dealers are now able to tell whether one has been previously installed. It seems that they are not the secret tuning device that will keep your warranty intact anymore.

I suppose they do have a resale value, but for the cost of these devises, they money would probably be better spent on a remap.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Tuning boxes now detectable
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2017, 16:28 »
So they are detected by them logging the hardware ID of a control unit (which will be the tuning box) in the log file each time the car is started? (ie removing it would still show it in the log)

Surely making the tuning box able to clone the ID of the real control unit or factory setting it to a plausible value is how to defeat their checks?

Either that or just clear the vehicle log afer you've taken out the tuning box...

If you go the remap route and flash it back before the car goes into the garage (which I think is possible with some products), isn't there a log and a counter showing ECU flashes? How long before they start to compare how many the dealer has done vs how many the car is showing?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2017, 16:48 »
"Suspected tuning with tuning box" is not proof though or reason to refuse a claim surely.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2017, 17:17 »
... the money would probably be better spent on a remap.
Are remaps undetectable?

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2017, 17:20 »
Are remaps undetectable?

Absolutely not I'd say.

The only way is to reflash the OEM code back to the ECU before they can do a checksum on it.

As I said above, there are other possible ways of spotting even that.

BTW I guess this is all about VW trying to save/recover money after dieselgate... refuse a few warranty claims and save a few euros.

Also... the document has the word "Audi" in it... did you spot that?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2017, 17:24 »
To be honest, quite right of the group to take this stance, and I know that might not be a popular train of thought on forums like this.

I've remapped a brand new Audi previously (with a fairly tame Bluefin power increase), and took that decision based on knowing I'd be kissing the factory warranty goodbye on engine & drivetrain components.

If you choose to modify the engine performance and put additional strain on other components, then why should you be able to deny all knowledge to the dealer and expect VW to cover costs if something goes wrong?

At least in Germany, the big reputable tuners all provide their own warranties and go through all sorts of TUV certification for what they sell and charge higher prices accordingly. Example: Abt give a 2 year warranty http://www.abt-sportsline.de/en/vw-tuning/golf/golf-vii-gti-clubsport-s/equipment/engine-technology/

As the document says, presence of a remap or tuning box won't affect warranty claims on unrelated components
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 21:17 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2017, 17:34 »
Also... the document has the word "Audi" in it... did you spot that?
Yes, dubber was reading what an Audi technichian posted over on the ASN forum for S1 drivers.

Do you think VW will take a different stance to Audi?

Not that this will effect me as I keep my cars stock. Too many issues with warranty and insurance for my liking. If I want a faster car I save the money and buy one.

If you were buying a car second hand would you want to know if someone was messing with the engine power? It would put me off.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2017, 18:21 »
I have always adopted the philosophy 'can't afford to pay then don't play' to modifications and have only ever modified cars I actually own.

I've done many miles with mapped cars but at the moment the lease car is stock and the M2 already has the performance and balance I need and a bit too valuable to mess with.

That said the wife's R will be off to Revo when its warranty expires

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2017, 19:17 »
Are remaps undetectable?

Nope. Most alter the flash counter so they only have to look at that to see its been mapped

There are some cars where the flash counter isn't altered but it's few and far between and there is nothing in the VAG range

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2017, 21:12 »
Kinda related...

A poster on ASN has just said they owned a PFL S3 and a Mk7R and a pedal box. They say that the 7 speed S-tronic and drive modes mean throttle response is much improved on the facelift S3. In their opinion the facelift S3 does not need a pedal box.

Hopefully, that is good news for people buying the Mk7.5. :cool:
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 21:24 by Daz Auto »