Author Topic: Autocar: New Golf GTI versus GTI Legends  (Read 11285 times)

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
Re: Autocar: New Golf GTI versus GTI Legends
« Reply #20 on: 20 July 2017, 14:17 »
I think its easy to get sentimental about old cars and think "classic".

Same with old girl friends!!

Or wives.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 20 July 2017, 15:16 »
I think its easy to get sentimental about old cars and think "classic".

Same with old girl friends!!

Or wives.

Have you got an old wife?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2017, 17:09 »
Problem with the mk2s is finding one that has not suffered at the hands of someone who ruined it in the past.

There is a mk2 in oak green on the classifieds at the moment which I was going to look at, add neglected to point off it was once a total write off, I then read the MOT history and a few things caught my attention and the same advisories for 3 years just to me showed it had not had much love.

Trouble is everyone at the moment thinks because its old its a classic and worth a fortune, which is not the case

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 20 July 2017, 17:37 »
I think emotion comes into this but for me

I had a Mk3 GTI in dragon green as a company car which I ran for about 5 years (as I refused to have a Toyota) when I passed my professional exams, not the best but way better than the bubble style Rover 216Sli (which it outlived as the fleet of these grenades engines due to the head gaskets)

I can remember the day, back in 1999 when me and my best mate picked up his Dragon Green VR6 3dr, think it was about a year old (98 R reg) from a dealer in Manchester, looked stunning in that colour and had some nice options such as Recaro fabric seats and Climatronic. He lost a fortune on that car but bet it would have gone back up in value now. The noise from the VR6 with an induction kit was probably one of the best I've heard. And only 170bhp, doesn't sound much now.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 20 July 2017, 18:31 »
Have you got an old wife?

Check my ebay history.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #25 on: 20 July 2017, 21:15 »
I missed this article and went to buy it on wednesday but the new magazine had come out sadly. So not sure what it said.

I own 4 classics and 3 modern cars. Its the modern cars that cause me more headacres with niggles and issues especially electric, electronic issues. It does all depend greatly on the make and models and especially the history though and most my classics ive owned for decades.

Imo the VW camper is one of the most over rated, over priced, unrefined, underpowered, terrible driving experiences ive ever had the displeasure to have to experience why anyone in their right mind would ever want one I will never understand.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2017, 21:16 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 20 July 2017, 22:36 »
For a brief period I had a 1302s Beetle bought at auction and in ex con, but was the worst vehicle I have ever owned by far, my 1st a 61 mini van was a joy and did more than one could expect from such modesty. And it predated that beetle by nearly a decade. The Camper equally awful,how did VW survive as a brand until the Golf, we'll never really know.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #27 on: 20 July 2017, 22:47 »
The 1302 and 1302s were terrible. They tried to improve the 1300 which was the best version and it was a fail. The 1500 and 1600 engines were a POS and the rest of the improvements on paper look good but aren't. Mind you they also made some stinking golfs too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 20 July 2017, 22:55 »
But enough good golfs to save their bacon!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline phope

• I live here
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special