Author Topic: 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios  (Read 11590 times)

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
Re: 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios
« Reply #30 on: 18 July 2017, 13:52 »
I think the most aural intrusion is the soundaktor, wife likes hers but I hate the noise in hers and much prefer mine without

Valid point on road noise which when cruising can be the biggest intrusion, anyone who drives on the South side of the M25 will no what I mean on the bits still to have black top

I get the top gear cruising bit as my other stead as an extra cog, but in reality on that it is tyre noise that over comes a few 100rpm less

a guy did a video with it on and off and omg what a difference :)  will the 7.5 have this on?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #31 on: 18 July 2017, 14:26 »
You can turn it down in the individual mode... or you can remove it entirely.

I'd try turning it down first!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2017, 09:56 »
I'd been interested to know whether in manual mode on the 7 speed whether it still changes up and kicks down (the 7 speed box in the RS3 does not do this which is a big attraction).
I've seen this talked about previously and didn't quite understand it - as far as I'm aware, if I knock the gear lever over to manual in my 7.5 GTi the gear will only change if the rev limits are reached at the upper (engine rev limiter) or lower (stall) limits - if I plant my right foot it doesn't kick down.

I second this, I have been caught out a few times when I needed power and it's slowly increasing the revs low down in 5th because I forgot I was in manual mode.
I gave this a proper try last night and it turns out that if you're in manual mode and bury your right foot, past the 'click' resistance point (which takes a fair old press and can't really be done by accident) then it does indeed kick down a couple of cogs. I've never actually had it do this until I tried as it takes an obvious effort to go past the resistance point.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.