Author Topic: 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios  (Read 11592 times)

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2017, 22:03 »
GTI... completely different gearbox ratios to the R.
Where did you find this information?

Bear in mind these are the comparison between both 6 speed gearboxes, but bear with me.

There are some official figures quoted from VW here:

GTI - https://media.vw.com/doc/948/2015_volkswagen_golf_gti_the_icon_reinvented-2015_golf_gti_specifications-15012859415370d15b81c21.pdf

R - http://media.vw.com/doc/1342/16639762254eb40c8bd4a5.pdf

Here is the R's transmission kindly translated into some real work figures:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/4s3fzq/gearing_chart_for_the_201516_golf_r_mkvii/?st=j58m76lx&sh=c3846062

Note that the R at 60mph it is doing 2,200 rpm in 6th where the GTI is at 2000 at 70mph in 6th (from my experience).

Finally a more crude approach to working out the gearing is to watch some 0-200km/h+ videos of DSG R's and GTI's on Youtube. Note that when the GTI changes up it drops to roughly 4,500 rpm for the next gear after 2nd and the R drops to around 5200rpm. The GTI's 3rd and 4th are noticeably longer.

R - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bTIoXzsezk
GTI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z0J-nYTBxk

Now this is where the 7th gear comes in. There are no published figures of the 7 speeds that I can find on the net so some more youtubing has to be done.

FL R - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRL7-FX9Uw

Very similar if not near identical to the 6-speed R with the 7th being an overdrive gear for good fuel consumption.

FL GTI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZDwJin23Ek

The GTI stops at 100km/h so we can only see half a picture. But the picture so far suggests very similar ratios to the GTI 6 speed DSG up to 3rd (and still the same long 3rd gear).

I would really like to know the answer to the OP's question because I have wondered the same thing since I bought my GTI so hopefully someone with a 245PS DSG can shed some light on all of this. If I was a betting man I would say the 7 speed DSG would be the one to get without a doubt, even if the 7th is only used for overdrive it's still better than the old 6 gear box. I can get mid 40's cruising at 70 with the 6 speed so I won't be too disgruntled :smiley:

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 17 July 2017, 22:33 »
I couldn't give a monkeys, but buddy (yawn) hog is convinced the GTI is from his responses

I was merely helping the OP make decision, as one who actually drives a 7 speed, not one who reads a lot.

This is about a 7 speed GTI, not a 7 speed R. They are different boxes with different ratios. This isn't a thread about GTI vs R, I'm not sure that you quite understand that. No one has mentioned the R apart from you.

Not sure if this is a Manual v DSG debate again :whistle: or the OP is questioning the different top gear ratios between 6 & 7 speed DSG.

You're right, you really helped the OP on this one... by not reading a word what was said in the original post.

You mentioned the R not me pal, if you bother to read my original post. The Boxes are not so different in overall effect, as in ratios to suit power output.
So the concept and result is the same  for both relatively. 7th iis a higher ratio on both and as such for OP I would have thought the best choice as he does a lot of M way work.
Seems you get a lot of pleasure in correcting folks on details , like the Audi graph which was an excellent if not totally accurate comparison.
That's all poster asked not the exact numbers,  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 17 July 2017, 22:54 »
You mentioned the R not me pal, if you bother to read my original post. The Boxes are not so different in overall effect, as in ratios to suit power output.
So the concept and result is the same  for both relatively. 7th iis a higher ratio on both and as such for OP I would have thought the best choice as he does a lot of M way work.
Seems you get a lot of pleasure in correcting folks on details , like the Audi graph which was an excellent if not totally accurate comparison.
That's all poster asked not the exact numbers,  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

But we don't know the answer yet until we get more information about the Performance GTI, that is the answer that we have so far. We have gained ground though so far which may or may not have helped the OP.

I get a lot of pleasure from lots of different things Colin, many of which aren't the topic of this thread... and neither is GTI vs R. :grin:

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #23 on: 17 July 2017, 23:34 »
I couldn't give a monkeys, but buddy (yawn) hog is convinced the GTI is from his responses

I was merely helping the OP make decision, as one who actually drives a 7 speed, not one who reads a lot.

Mate we have a Mk7 GTI as well, and you know pound for pound the R is the best alround car in the world ever for true pistonheads laugh:

Seems everyone knows this apart from Some GTI owners, I'd best leave you lads to it until you eventually get one.
I waited 70 years!!

Lol, you didn't even read what the OP's (really simple) question was about, just rushed to conclusion that ratios are a reason of why the R is faster... (as if that was the topic)

PS. Someone send this guy some R forum links please, can't you see he's suffering here?  :grin:

PS2. Is that 70 years to be able to buy an R?? that explains it...

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2017, 01:08 »
Here are the fuel consumption figures (urban, extra-urban, combined) -

Golf GTI 5dr DSG - 34.4/52.3/44.1
Golf GTI PP 5dr DSG - 34.4/54.3/44.8

So the 7 speed will be slightly more economical on the motorway. I doubt if it will be noticeable in the real world.

Of course, the GTD gives much better smiles per gallon.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2017, 01:10 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline ratty_uk2000

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2017, 08:12 »
Thanks all for the thoughts and opinions thus far *cheers*

For the avoidance of further confusion - core question is the  final drive ratio of 6 speed DSG vs 7 speed DSG on a 7.5 GTI 3 door.  And my prime interest is about quiet cruising at UK motorway speeds.

Looking at the stats in the UK brochure it's dangerous to make assumptions - consumption and emissions are either fractionally  higher or lower depending on which test scenario (to be expected as the box mapping "games" the test) and top speed is identically limited in both cases.

Noise is lower in the 7 speed box though, so maybe this is an indicator of lower engine revs at the test speed?

Happy for the debate to continue!
« Last Edit: 18 July 2017, 08:19 by ratty_uk2000 »
On order: 7.5 230 PS, 3 door, DSG.  Pearl black with heated screen, Dynaudio & reverse camera.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 18 July 2017, 09:18 »
...my prime interest is about quiet cruising at UK motorway speeds.

Noise is lower in the 7 speed box though, so maybe this is an indicator of lower engine revs at the test speed?
I'm guessing those noise results are under test centre conditions. On most of the motorways and dual carriageways I drive road/tyre noise drowns out engine noise.

If noise is such a major concern for you then you will need to consider changing the OEM Bridgestone tyres. They are known to be hard wearing and high noise tyre. Someone said that Pirelli have a new foam lined tyre which has considerably reduced tyre/road noise.

Edit: Pirelli Noise Cancelling System - https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/original-equipment-tires/noise-cancelling-system#

"The “Pirelli Noise Cancelling System” reduces noise by between two to three decibels, or on average by half, with a consequent improvement in driving comfort."
« Last Edit: 18 July 2017, 09:27 by Daz Auto »

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 18 July 2017, 12:39 »
I think the most aural intrusion is the soundaktor, wife likes hers but I hate the noise in hers and much prefer mine without

Valid point on road noise which when cruising can be the biggest intrusion, anyone who drives on the South side of the M25 will no what I mean on the bits still to have black top

I get the top gear cruising bit as my other stead as an extra cog, but in reality on that it is tyre noise that over comes a few 100rpm less

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #29 on: 18 July 2017, 13:38 »
Get a copy of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Sleep-Til-Hammersmith-Motorhead/dp/B001G5SDS4

Stick the MP3 onto your SD card, turn it up to eleven.

Wind noise, tyre noise, engine noise, traffic noise, noise from the wife and kids.... it all goes away magically!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC