Author Topic: 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios  (Read 11437 times)

Offline ratty_uk2000

• Not said much yet
6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios
« on: 17 July 2017, 12:23 »
Afternoon all

Finalizing my order for a 7.5 GTI DSG and can't decide on the PP version or not.

Extra power / torque, bigger brakes and LSD don't interest me that much, but I'm curious to know if the extra ratio is within the same final drive, or is in fact higher as an overdrive.

UK spec sheet doesn't include these, and making an assumption based on consumption, emissions or top speed may be wrong.

Given I spend more time at 80 on a motorway than I do hooning around, the latter may make the decision for me. 

Thanks.
On order: 7.5 230 PS, 3 door, DSG.  Pearl black with heated screen, Dynaudio & reverse camera.

Offline wigit

• I live here
Re: 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG ratios
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2017, 12:43 »
I'd been interested to know whether in manual mode on the 7 speed whether it still changes up and kicks down (the 7 speed box in the RS3 does not do this which is a big attraction).

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2017, 12:45 »
So what you're saying is you're about to order a GTI even though you don't care so much about: power, torque, brakes or cornering but mainly about how economical is the final gear?  :shocked:

Offline ratty_uk2000

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2017, 12:55 »
So what you're saying is you're about to order a GTI even though you don't care so much about: power, torque, brakes or cornering but mainly about how economical is the final gear?  :shocked:

Ah no  :grin:

Just my curiosity as an OCD engineer between the DSG boxes on the vanilla and Performance versions.
On order: 7.5 230 PS, 3 door, DSG.  Pearl black with heated screen, Dynaudio & reverse camera.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2017, 13:07 »
For reference my 6 speed DSG sits at 2000rpm @ 70mph and 3000rpm @ 100mph.

From what I can see on YouTube on the 0-100km/h 245ps video the first 3 gears have the same ratio and change after the redline to the same rpm (~4500rpm in 3rd from 2nd).

Now the real question is whether you would make a £1200 saving in fuel to justify the extra cost if you're not too fussed about the other Performance features.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2017, 13:23 »
Not sure if this is a Manual v DSG debate again :whistle: or the OP is questioning the different top gear ratios between 6 & 7 speed DSG.

Doesn't DSG only come in 7 speed now? I should know but....

For sure I have it and it's definitely a higher ratio than the original 6th top gear, doesn't come in until 50mph I believe and is brilliant on Motorway/Highways etc.

The changes are or seem quicker than ever, I found it's not a gear the car wants to stay in so barely a blip of throttle ( or just think you want to change down :wink:) and your in 5th.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2017, 13:27 »
Does this help?

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272800.msg2555231#msg2555231

Unfortuntely not because the S3 uses the same ratios as the R which are much shorter than the GTI. But good thinking.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2017, 13:29 »
Not sure if this is a Manual v DSG debate again :whistle: or the OP is questioning the different top gear ratios between 6 & 7 speed DSG.

For sure I have it and it's definitely a higher ratio than the original 6th top gear, doesn't come in until 50mph I believe and is brilliant on Motorway/Highways etc.

The changes are or seem quicker than ever, I found it's not a gear the car wants to stay in so barely a blip of throttle ( or just think you want to change down :wink:) and your in 5th.

We're talking GTI buddy :cool: completely different gearbox ratios to the R. The GTI comes with both 6 speed DSG and 7 speed DSG for the Performance edition.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2017, 13:37 »

We're talking GTI buddy :cool: completely different gearbox ratios to the R. The GTI comes with both 6 speed DSG and 7 speed DSG for the Performance edition.

Just another reason why they are slower then. Would have thought a PP could pull the same top gear?
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.