Author Topic: Edition 35 buying tips  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Squeekz

• Just got here
Edition 35 buying tips
« on: 13 July 2017, 08:19 »
So I'm thinking it's finally time to ditch the anni and am very tempted with an edition 35. Have seen a couple and I am leaning towards a manual. I know lots of people say they've gone to DSG and won't go back but when i drove it it almost seems too 'easy', and i like the involvement of a manual. Plus you do hear stories of the mech unit on the DSGs playing up, although I know that's rarer than it seems to be made out but just another factor.

Few questions if anyone knows the answers... firstly i know it uses an detuned version of the R engine, based on the mk5 engine, but does it suffer the same cam follower issues/do i have to find out if its been checked/replaced? Also with regards to the timing belt, obv doesn't have the chain issues of the mk6 but when should it be replaced? The 35s are getting on 5yrs old now but most are low mileage so is it still 5y/60k for a cambelt change? Any idea of the rough cost all in, as I guess it will be cambelt/water pump job, seems like it should be around 250 quid.

Anything else I should look out for? Thanks for the help!

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: Edition 35 buying tips
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2017, 17:46 »
VW do the cambelt and waterpump for £399, see their fixed price pricelist online.

Otherwise, all the same advice exists for the EA113 engine.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black