Author Topic: Throw out bearing issue - Mk6 Golf GTI  (Read 3282 times)

Offline gman1978

• Not said much yet
Throw out bearing issue - Mk6 Golf GTI
« on: 18 June 2017, 20:36 »
Hi Guys

My car has developed the annoying howling noise when I engage gear with the clutch. From research it would seem this is a very common problem with the car and would need the Throw out bearing replaced but it is a very labor intense job.

I would like to order good quality parts to fix this and just get my Mechanic to fit but my question is what do I need and if I should get anything else fixed/upgraded like the clutch / fly wheel etc ?

Would appreciate some help

Offline gman1978

• Not said much yet
Re: Throw out bearing issue - Mk6 Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2017, 22:13 »
Bump

Offline gman1978

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2017, 12:02 »

Offline gman1978

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2017, 19:21 »
This Forum seems to be dead ? anyone know a good one to join for vw golf gti ?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2017, 16:15 »
This Forum seems to be dead ?

Depends which section you visit. The mk7 section is very active.

When I joined this forum, the mk6 Golf was the current production model and this section of the forum was very busy. I think the low level of activity in the mk6 section now is down to many of the forum members who were mk6 Golf GTI owners and regular contributors to this section of the forum having sold their mk6's and moved on; either to a mk7 Golf or a non-VW brand car.

Many of those members would've acquired their mk6's new and if they bought them under a pcp or leased them, would've moved on to a new replacement car by the time it got to 3 years old. Therefore, they're unlikely to have experienced many of the age-related mechanical issues that mk6 owners might now be experiencing, so may not be in a position to help with your query. 

With many mk6 Golf GTI 's now being on their 2nd and 3rd owners, the demographic profile of current owners is likely to be different to the profile of the first owners; probably a younger age profile, and more heavily into car modding and with a preference for social media (Facebook, Twitter etc.) rather than traditional car forum sites.

This might help to explain why this section of the forum is quiet. It doesn't help to answer your original question unfortunately. I'd suggest doing an internet search on 'mk6 Golf GTI forums' and checking out some of the results that are returned. That way you should hopefully be able to find a forum with a reasonable amount of mk6 GTI activity.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline gman1978

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 22:32 »
Thanks for the reply, I'm 38 so no spring chicken but have owned the car from nearly new and loved every minute. My wife mainly drives it now with myself on occasions, just want to keep the car in good condition.