Author Topic: Cambelt query....  (Read 2038 times)

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
Cambelt query....
« on: 05 June 2017, 23:40 »
Car died on me and gave this code: 19463 Cam Sensor Circuit - Value outside Limits I presume is the same as "camshaft position sensor g40 no signal" ?

Drove the missus MK4 TDI last week and she gave the keys with little fuel in it. She had done 30miles already after the warning light had come on and I put a full tank of diesel in just before it failed. It ran rough coming off the slip road, especially around 1900/2000. Went for 2nd as I changed down approaching the lights and it died. Went to turn it over again and starter could be heard and engine cranking, battery was fine but nothing. RAC code was given as the first one and he said it's likely to be just the sensor. We didn't look to see if the Cambelt was intact. He do get it crank with direct fuel sprayed in. But on just key turn over it failed still.

Cars done 149,000 2 cambelt changes that I know of, and still on original glow plugs. Last cambelt was just over 3 years ago. I've had the cambelt cover off, so has the AA as the missus has homestart. Upper belt looks fine and tight. Possibility of it jumping teeth seems the only other option as it still starts on easystart spray.

SO......
Would the valves be okay to start on the easy start spray if the teeth have jumped on the belt? Or would they be bent/jammed if the belt is out of time due to teeth jumping?

Garage are saying it's 50/50 if there is engine damage and they haven't got any code data that they have shared with us about why the engine fuelling  isn't taking place. Fuel pump is fine, filter is changed as was the cam sensor although the RAC and AA reported differing things once I replaced the cam sensor so I still think that was dead.

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Cambelt query....
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2017, 12:58 »
If its jumped there possible valve damage. Until its got a belt on you wont tell unless you remove the head.
Itll run on less cylinders if there bent as compression is gone. If the garage has a compression tester thatll do the engine youll know that way. Id say theyd have to remove injectors to check for compression

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
Re: Cambelt query....
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2017, 17:54 »
Absolute arse. Anyone interested in the breaking of a MK4 with genuine anniversary kit/heated leather/BBS RC's/leather door cards etc  :cry:

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
Re: Cambelt query....car now being broken
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2017, 11:02 »
Bits/car now for sale in the classifieds parts section http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280668.0