Author Topic: Traffic Jam assist  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Madeinireland

• Just got here
Traffic Jam assist
« on: 26 May 2017, 22:46 »
I was contemplating getting this feature as I'm a sucker for technology but I have a seat ateca out on trial today and noticed in its manual it talks about traffic assist and says you should only use it on wide roads and motorways and not in city centre traffic. strange??? - isn't that where the traffic jams usually are?

What does it say in the golf manual on the matter please?

Thanks...

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Traffic Jam assist
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2017, 01:21 »
Here is what Audi say in their manual -

« Last Edit: 27 May 2017, 12:08 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2017, 12:11 »
Glad you brought up the subject as I'm not sure I need this. I'm rarely going to be stuck in motorway traffic jams -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuCN4UMST-M

Though I'm going to need the Lane Assist option for camera and Dynamic Light Assist -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSLMs5Pma8

« Last Edit: 27 May 2017, 12:25 by Daz Auto »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2017, 12:50 »
Is this something people really need or want? One thing I've never really had a problem with is keeping a car in lane at slow speed or at any speed. And it says you have to still have your hands on the steering wheel anyway! Maybe I'm missing something?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2017, 13:55 »
Is this something people really need or want? One thing I've never really had a problem with is keeping a car in lane at slow speed or at any speed. And it says you have to still have your hands on the steering wheel anyway! Maybe I'm missing something?
... the jury is still out on this one.

Some people think the same way about cruise control and adaptive cruise control. Any car can be driven fine without them. Though they offer tangible improvements for most people in everyday driving. I like to add tech too. As you can see below, my current car had quite a few optional extras. Park assist is the only thing that I didn't think was worth having. Though the system has probably improved a lot.

It is too early to tell if Traffic Jam Assist is worth it or not. I was going to give it a try. However, having done some more research today, I will rarely get the opportunity to use it.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2017, 14:17 »
... the jury is still out on this one.

Some people think the same way about cruise control and adaptive cruise control. Any car can be driven fine without them. Though they offer tangible improvements for most people in everyday driving. I like to add tech too. As you can see below, my current car had quite a few optional extras. Park assist is the only thing that I didn't think was worth having. Though the system has probably improved a lot.

It is too early to tell if Traffic Jam Assist is worth it or not. I was going to give it a try. However, having done some more research today, I will rarely get the opportunity to use it.

I get cruise control, although I don't use it myself, and I can see why it could help on a long journey but I fail to see the usefulness of Traffic Jam Assist. You still have to look where you are going, you still have to have your hands on the steering so just turn the bloody wheel if needed! I understand that it's all marketing and competitiveness between the brands but surely there has to come a point when it's enough and a bit more money could be spent building things better and more consistently so we get fewer annoying little faults and rattles. Not over engineering but a bit more than we currently get. Sorry, a bit off topic, it just annoys me.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2017, 18:20 »
... I fail to see the usefulness of Traffic Jam Assist. You still have to look where you are going...
... in theory you don't. In theory the car will be semi-autonomous i.e. it will drive itself. Meaning the driver can make that handsfree phone call and chat away without worrying. They can browse their music collection while glancing at the road - instead of glancing at their music while watching the road.

Having said that I'm going to remove it from my order. Or should I swap it for Dynaudio?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2017, 09:25 »
That does sound pretty lame really.

I suppose its all incremental technology on the path to self driving cars, but I don't think I'd pay for this as an option.

Dynaudio will be more fun Daz :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2017, 09:38 »
'Traffic jam assist'.,...just when you think you've heard it all,  they come along with this sh!te!
Park assist, acc, etc are completely pointless if you possess even half a brain.
If you feel you really need these things, you probably shouldn't be driving a Golf GTI, GTD and certainly not an R!
Get yourself a Zafira.

5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2017, 10:35 »
Park assist, acc, etc are completely pointless if you possess even half a brain.
If you feel you really need these things, you probably shouldn't be driving a Golf GTI, GTD and certainly not an R!
Get yourself a Zafira.
ACC is really good on a long drive. I really miss it when I get back into my car.