Author Topic: New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!  (Read 12579 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2017, 13:02 »
I am firmly in the 'must' have sunroof camp, but don't have the windows down much.

Other than my Mk2, I'd not had a sunroof for nearly 20 years. I love the one in my new Golf. It's open most of the time when it's dry.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2017, 14:05 »
I am firmly in the 'must' have sunroof camp, but don't have the windows down much.

Other than my Mk2, I'd not had a sunroof for nearly 20 years. I love the one in my new Golf. It's open most of the time when it's dry.

Yep, love 'em. Last time I think was CRX Vtech 1990. Had them in mk1,2 & 4 GTI's BMW 2002TII and LHD Turbo and a '73 911e.etc. This the nicest so far as it's glass just pull back the blind, draw those curtains wide -Elbow :cool:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2017, 14:08 »
That's pretty crazy Mike.

Does the S3 have less weight or different wheels or just a better drag coefficient?

Is it a sportback?

Mine is the 3 door hatch, looking at the online specs the unladen weight is 
Golf R (DSG) - 1505kg
S3 (stronic) - 1370kg

I know the S3 has an aluminium bonnet and front wings for a bit of weight saving.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2017, 14:35 »
I'm now running a facelift S3, still like to come back to my roots now and again  :smiley:.

Same engine as the MK7.5 R but I have averaged 32MPG over the last 9000 miles and have seen 40MPG on a long run if stuck at 50-60MPH. I don't exactly take it easy either  :evil:, aircon has been on since I picked it up.

This is DSG and I know some people on here say they can get 10% better on a manual car.

Now that is very impressive unless the object is the higher consumption the better :roll eyes:

The cost/consumption doesn't necessarily concern me I can afford it as retired and only do 6+k miles a year. My point of comparison is I live in the glorious Cotswolds with lovely roads if not surfaces! and very little traffic.

The point of my original post was achieving such lowish mpg in congestion free, no stop/start suburban journeys.

The windows open was because it was bloody hot and and experiment without A/C, not a doctrine. It proves to me that the current Aircon systems are sucking an awful lot of BHP from the engine. And possibly 15/20% drop in consumption. Certainly at high temperatures.

Hey ho I can afford it, but hate unnecessary waste. My cash was hard come by and I respect every penny. So old habits die hard, I will for sure find a compromise with this great car and what it can achieve. I am off to Cornwall soon so will get a balanced view with a long run.

To those who do highish mileage , townies or folks in the suburbs that I used to haunt, I suggest a sweet GTI as the around best
option.

Unless you have money to burn then buy a 570s

You know "It doesn't say that in the Brochure"   :grin:

Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2017, 14:39 »
That's pretty crazy Mike.

Does the S3 have less weight or different wheels or just a better drag coefficient?

Is it a sportback?

Mine is the 3 door hatch, looking at the online specs the unladen weight is 
Golf R (DSG) - 1505kg
S3 (stronic) - 1370kg

I know the S3 has an aluminium bonnet and front wings for a bit of weight saving.

It's the weight for sure, 5 door over 3 door not sure the difference. I always see weight in bags of cement and that's nearly 7 bags for a similar car.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2017, 18:33 »
I got 33 mpg on a run to Edinburgh the other week 365 miles in total one stop, one tank of fuel, still had 60 miles left on the range.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline sam67GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2017, 21:18 »
Well, first tank of fuel through the R until the light came on and that took me 350 miles! Averaging 34 mpg! Air con on all the time. Mix of short runs and longer runs. Not taken it near the red line but not exactly driving slow either! I must have an economical R or else I'm not driving hard enough  :evil:  :whistle:
VW Golf R 7.5 | 3 Door | DSG | Lapiz Blue | Black Pretorias | Dynaudio | DCC | Rear Reversing Camera | Black Mirror Caps

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2017, 22:24 »
Well, first tank of fuel through the R until the light came on and that took me 350 miles! Averaging 34 mpg! Air con on all the time. Mix of short runs and longer runs. Not taken it near the red line but not exactly driving slow either! I must have an economical R or else I'm not driving hard enough  :evil:  :whistle:
Sounds like you got an R line mate. Or maybe a granny driver :wink: But no way these can average 34mpg, are you in ECO and Blue think crap? Only joking. Anyway aren't these the dogs more than a wolf that is. Nice to hear from another 7.5 R'r even one with GTI economy. Be a bonus for me.Enjoy.

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 28 May 2017, 00:00 »
I am actually surprised at the difference in mpg over the GTi PP.  I suspected it would be something like 10% but it seems to be about 25% lower.  If the engines were identical, lugging an extra 100Kg around plus the added drivetrain loss in the 4wd system would give you that 10%, but I guess the bigger turbo in the R plus other fuelling differences add in.  The sunroof adds a fair bit of extra weight also.  5 doors is another 30 Kg again.  If it's a DSG that's even more weight (20Kg).  To the extent that a 5dr R with DSG and sunroof weighs some 160Kg more than a GTi pp.  However there should still be an improvement in your R after some 10K+ miles as the whole thing beds in and loosens up.  I agree with Rebecca leaving the climate on all the time is best, and keeps the system in good order.  At high speeds opening sunroof and windows is like opening a parachute.

GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2017, 00:39 »
No  way open the roof or windows at high speeds, purely for cruising shades and elbow out.