Author Topic: New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!  (Read 12711 times)

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
Re: New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2017, 02:16 »
And the moral of the thread is......don't buy an R if you care about mpg......get a GTI.  :grin:

The real moral is learn when to & when not to  :smiley:

If you want to try and go full throttle everywhere, you pay, regardless. If you learn when to and when not to, you pay less!

I used to have the renowned Ollie Reid that is the Focus ST. It occasionally saw nearly 30 (ish) on a good day & almost worried 40 on a very boring run. The GTI PP I now have does 35 and a bit DTD. Shame about the sound though  :cry:

Still, the point is, learn how to drive, at least a bit & ye shall be rewarded!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2017, 05:08 »
Considering my mk4 GTI (remapped) did around 30 mpg, my (remapped) mk5 GTI did 28-30 mpg, both my mk6 GTI's did low 30's (remapped), my GTI PP did low to mid 30's it came as no surprise that my R did mid to high 20's.
These are rule of thumb averages from full ownership terms not scientifically computed or anything.

My scientific conclusion tells me that considering all those cars did a similar commute, with a similar diving style progress in making hot hatches more economical has generally been quite good.

I'd put the R's consumption down to the car having a fair sized turbo and an engine mapped for top end performance. Although I rarely used high revs the fact the big turbo needed lots of fuel to produce the BHP figures I'd taken as a foregone conclusion. More power = more fuel burned.
Then there's the weight.
Then there's the other drag inducing axle and propshaft.
If you want a 300PS hatch with 4wd then you accept it's going to cost you a few quid at the super unleaded pump. If you want an automatic version of said car then likely more so.

And then came the Ed40 ClubSport.
I drove 2.5 miles yesterday morning, including several sets of traffic lights and had 30mpg showing on the trip computer when I got to my destination. Cold engine, reasonable ambient air temps, dry roads etc.
I was quite impressed by that so did it again this morning. More or less the same result.

The GTD *could* do that journey at 40mpg (trip computer figures again, which has been fairly accurate in my use) and my PP GTI could just about scrape 32 or 33 yet the R never did that trip in more than 25mpg, 26 at a real push.
Hardly anything academic but I'm using it as a journey that's going to get the worst consumption figures, it mostly uphill with a cold engine start. Lowish revs, lightish throttle inputs but not dawdling.

What does my 2.5 mile acid test prove?
It's the 4wd that saps the fuel consumption (quite possibly).

So that's it then. I've decided that's a fact and as this is the Internet it must be true  :laugh: :lipsrsealed:

In other news, I wish I was as wealthy as the OP so that I could consider £31.5k a bargain for a family hatchback.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2017, 07:35 »
Blimey, I'm quite shocked at the sort of miles per gallon people are getting. Going from a diesel Passat which would average a genuine 50mpg to an Amarok, I had readied myself for bigger fuel bills. Having read this thread, I'm genuinely chuffed with my 35mpg average. That's what the computer says and backed up with brim to brim maths.

I know the Amarok isn't for many (if any on here) but I reckon I'm having more fun.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2017, 08:27 »
And the moral of the thread is......don't buy an R if you care about mpg......get a GTI.  :grin:

The real moral is learn when to & when not to  :smiley:

If you want to try and go full throttle everywhere, you pay, regardless. If you learn when to and when not to, you pay less!

I used to have the renowned Ollie Reid that is the Focus ST. It occasionally saw nearly 30 (ish) on a good day & almost worried 40 on a very boring run. The GTI PP I now have does 35 and a bit DTD. Shame about the sound though  :cry:

Still, the point is, learn how to drive, at least a bit & ye shall be rewarded!

When people read about average low mpg, the assumption is often made that the driver is going everywhere at full throttle.  Another, perhaps more accurate interpretation, is that a low average mpg can be the result of lots of mpg slaying congested town/city driving - it's impossible to full throttle it everywhere when it takes you 50 mins to go 2 miles, lol (Dynaudio helps to while away the time), so at those times it's very light throttle, engine braking and keeping steady distance. Out on the open road, that's where you get your kicks.  But whether sat in a line of slow moving traffic, making steady progress on motorway or haring round twistes, the R is a great car to do it all in. 
« Last Edit: 27 May 2017, 09:27 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2017, 08:40 »
Blimey, I'm quite shocked at the sort of miles per gallon people are getting. Going from a diesel Passat which would average a genuine 50mpg to an Amarok, I had readied myself for bigger fuel bills. Having read this thread, I'm genuinely chuffed with my 35mpg average. That's what the computer says and backed up with brim to brim maths.

I know the Amarok isn't for many (if any on here) but I reckon I'm having more fun.

Simon, I'll have check out Dave's average Amarok mpg - no idea what he's getting. But like you he does have fun in it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2017, 09:21 »
Thanks for not one useful reply, the point of post was informative and inquisitive. Most seemed to have  missed the point, firstly sunroof's which always transform the driving experience at anytime of year opened or not, a glass roof, light and airy. I grew up in an era of no heaters in winter and open windows in summer cars. My Lotus 7 had neither. And once and for all I did not buy this car for economy! But sorry 22mpg is almost boasting in everyday driving. And yes I am aware of the aerodynamic s with windows opened.
My guess is it will improve with miles and the A/C is working it's nuts off right now. Where is it powered from, solar sunroof ? Now there's an idea.

Finally, I think VW have shot them selves in the foot with the standard kit on these, the sat Nav is improved on the pro and the driver info screen is worth ? Name it, once bitten, that's without all the other stuff .

You're not exactly helping yourself with some of your replies on here. Don't take offence but you sound like one grumpy old man, your name isn't Victor Meldrew is it?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2017, 10:43 »
I wish to apologise for the following, less than helpful, reply.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2017, 11:17 »
Only as a reference point, my GTi pp dsg does a lot of town driving and short journeys, with my average long term speed showing as around 24/25 mph, with the sunroof open almost every dry day and my long term mpg is 32/33 mpg.

I am firmly in the 'must' have sunroof camp, but don't have the windows down much. Aircon only really gets used on very hot days or on the motorway with the roof shut. I'm very happy with the mpg v performance and it's about 10% better than my old manual mk5 gti

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2017, 11:20 »
I'm now running a facelift S3, still like to come back to my roots now and again  :smiley:.

Same engine as the MK7.5 R but I have averaged 32MPG over the last 9000 miles and have seen 40MPG on a long run if stuck at 50-60MPH. I don't exactly take it easy either  :evil:, aircon has been on since I picked it up.

This is DSG and I know some people on here say they can get 10% better on a manual car.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2017, 11:37 »
That's pretty crazy Mike.

Does the S3 have less weight or different wheels or just a better drag coefficient?

Is it a sportback?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC