Author Topic: Bumper scrape!  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
Bumper scrape!
« on: 25 May 2017, 18:19 »
Hi everyone, a quick query! Whilst my/our car was parked in my Wife's staff car park, a colleague has managed to scrape our front bumper, down to the black base in a couple of places. She has said that she does not want to involve her insurance company. However, I would like it repaired by our local VW body shop, not by Chips away or the like. If the quote is more than she imagined & she does involve a claim on her insurance, will it affect my insurance premium going forward?

Thanks as always for your help.
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
Re: Bumper scrape!
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2017, 18:45 »
Non fault claims don't, I had one couple years ago, guy ploughed into the side of the Evoque.

Made no difference with insurers when quoting with it and without.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2017, 18:50 »
Hi everyone, a quick query! Whilst my/our car was parked in my Wife's staff car park, a colleague has managed to scrape our front bumper, down to the black base in a couple of places. She has said that she does not want to involve her insurance company. However, I would like it repaired by our local VW body shop, not by Chips away or the like. If the quote is more than she imagined & she does involve a claim on her insurance, will it affect my insurance premium going forward?

Thanks as always for your help.

Accidents happen but what a pain. At least the other driver had the decency to own up. If you go through your insurer, even as a no fault claim, they are likely to up your basic (pre no claims discount) premium so even if your no claims discount remains the same, your cost will go up. Having said that though, I wouldn't think it would be much and the cost to respray the whole bumper including removal and stripping down is unlikely to leave much change from £4-500. I think it unlikely the other person is going to want to pay that...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2017, 18:52 »
Non fault claims don't, I had one couple years ago, guy ploughed into the side of the Evoque.

Made no difference with insurers when quoting with it and without.

Agreed it won't make any difference to your future premiums as your not claiming off your own policy however that being said I know one of my sons insurance still tries to increase his yearly premium as his car got wrote off whist parked outside his home and he was at work.
It's still on file as non fault but insurers do try it on however big they are. ..
« Last Edit: 26 May 2017, 06:57 by gtiaps »
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2017, 23:33 »
A claim will almost certainly will affect future insurance premiums. You will have to declare it for 3 or 5 years, depending on insurance company.

It's called 'no claim' bonus, not 'no blame'. All down to statistics unfortunately - if you're involved in a non-fault accident then stats say that you're more likely to be involved in another that is your fault.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 07:09 »
A claim will almost certainly will affect future insurance premiums. You will have to declare it for 3 or 5 years, depending on insurance company.

It's called 'no claim' bonus, not 'no blame'. All down to statistics unfortunately - if you're involved in a non-fault accident then stats say that you're more likely to be involved in another that is your fault.

For certain? That from experience? Because I must be a lucky one then who managed to do multiple quotes with different insurers and it a no fault claim to make no difference.

What are the chances.

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 08:29 »
Thanks everyone.
It's a pain, as I don't know why I should put up with a shoddy smart repair instead of a VW approved one! However, I know what insurance companies are like! I'll probably get 2 quotes, including a smart repair one. Her car is an old banger, so she's not getting it repaired!
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2017, 09:11 »

Although it is not your fault and even if you do not make a claim. If you have notified the insurance company, you will go on the CUE database, and this will affect your insurance premium. I am speaking from experience because this happened to me. And once your on the database you can't get of it. I am in discussions with the insurance ombudsman at the moment to try and get this situation resolved.

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2017, 09:28 »

For certain? That from experience? Because I must be a lucky one then who managed to do multiple quotes with different insurers and it a no fault claim to make no difference.

What are the chances.
Yes - from experience.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2017, 09:30 by eatontrifles »
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Matt17121991

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2017, 10:09 »

What are the chances.

Same happened to me, non fault.....my premiums have been affected ever since! I'm into the 5th year now and it wont need to be declared after!