Author Topic: Gulf Fuel  (Read 9694 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Gulf Fuel
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2017, 10:37 »
I've personally never had an issue with any fuel in any garage, nor have I ever noticed any performance or mpg differences and I'm not fussed at all as to what brand I'd use - I use whatever happens to be nearest when the fuel light comes on. I would obviously be wary of using an unknown / no-brand garage, but so long as it's a big filling station with all the branding... then... I fill away.

Beyond that is overthinking it IMO, but I know this is a strangely divisive subject, so each to their own.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2017, 10:45 »
It is only Skye just fill up before you cross the free bridge if you are that worried and nip back to the mainland if you run low. The fuel will be fine, there is no vast difference in any UK fuels as they all come from the same refinery. Some nice roads on Skye to enjoy as well.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2017, 11:28 »
I've personally never had an issue with any fuel in any garage, nor have I ever noticed any performance or mpg differences and I'm not fussed at all as to what brand I'd use - I use whatever happens to be nearest when the fuel light comes on. I would obviously be wary of using an unknown / no-brand garage, but so long as it's a big filling station with all the branding... then... I fill away.

Beyond that is overthinking it IMO, but I know this is a strangely divisive subject, so each to their own.

When I fitted the dtuk I could make the car go into limp mode when I had the box on +3 on any of the 3 programs and the car would shudder if under heavy load, say 4th gear doing 40 mph and as the torque would start to build it would start to shudder.

Running the car on Shell V power diesel over the last few thousand miles with the dtuk box set on program 3+3 and its been fine after the first tank of it. It took a good tank and a half to get there though.

I know the likes of 5 Gear done a test but they only used a gallon of the stuff. It is tha same with the wife's car using V power petrol.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2017, 16:23 »
The nearest shell or esso station to Skye is fort William which is a bit far to go. I don't have an issue with using other fuels but I won't use asda or morrisons just as I didn't when I had the gtd. It was just a question as to had anyone used Gulf fuel.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2017, 16:34 »
It all comes out of the same oil tanker  :laugh:

Except it doesn't. Remember a couple of years back when supermarket fuel from Tesco and Morrisons was poisoning lambda sensors because of the silicone content in the fuel and/or tankers?

Funnily enough BP/Shell/Esso and other premium fuel suppliers were not affected.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2017, 16:45 »
The nearest shell or esso station to Skye is fort William which is a bit far to go. I don't have an issue with using other fuels but I won't use asda or morrisons just as I didn't when I had the gtd. It was just a question as to had anyone used Gulf fuel.

mcmaddy you were being optimistic to expect an actual useful response when you wrote the word 'fuel' in the thread title, lol.  You know its like a red rag to a bull on forums.  :wink:

Guess there may be only one way to find out what the Gulf fuel is like, but I'm sure the car will cope with it and hope you have a very enjoyable trip and drive to Skye.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2017, 16:48 »

mcmaddy you were being optimistic to expect an actual useful response when you wrote the word 'fuel' in the thread title, lol.  You know its like a red rag to a bull on forums.  :wink:

Guess there may be only one way to find out what the Gulf fuel is like, but I'm sure the car will cope with it and hope you have a very enjoyable trip and drive to Skye.
Good god Rebecca, stop being so pleasant and rational :kiss:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2017, 16:54 »

Good god Rebecca, stop being so pleasant and rational :kiss:

I'm sorry.  Blame the sunshine, it does things to me. I'll go away sit in a darkened room and come back irrational and unpleasant.  Did I hear you whisper the word "normal" kalimon?   :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2017, 18:32 »
I'm in no doubts it'll be fine. Just don't want to run out while out and about haha. Bit far to push  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2017, 19:23 »
What a random question, what makes you think it'll be vastly different from any other fuel?

Because there can be a huge difference in the quality of fuel. I've noticed it in the diesel I use.

*roll eyes*

That old chestnut, I guess supermarket fuel is the devil fuel for engines isn't it.

It is up to you to think what you want, as it is for me. Are you saying that the people that do notice a difference are wrong or they're stupid because they don't think the same as you.

It's been proven many times that normal fuel between brands is irrelevant. Yes there has been some issues with some fuel from supermarkets but that doesn't mean every litre is inferior. It was a one off.

However when we come to super fuels that's a difference matter and there is proof of differences.

My point to the OP was - don't worry your car won't blow up.