Author Topic: Is the Dynamic Chassis control option worth ticking?  (Read 12232 times)

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
Re: Is the Dynamic Chassis control option worth ticking?
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2017, 09:18 »
I have DCC and would certainly option it again.

Its well worth the £830 imo (considering just Park Assist is nearly £600!)

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2017, 12:56 »
I have it, it was high on my shopping list, I drive in comfort mode about 80% of the time, I wouldn't be without it having been in a friends GTi without it - Is it worth it? I'm middle aged and like my comfort :grin:

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2017, 13:47 »
Now I had it on my Mark 6 with 18" wheels and made it a priority to have on my new R especially with 19"s!
But! odd this it rides as good in normal as my Mk6 did in comfort and better than my wife's MK7 GTI without DCC on 18s.
Doesn't make sense to me AWD? Normal softer?. Whatever comfort seems truly comfort.
I would recommend it without hesitation on a GTI/D/R especially of specifying 19"s
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2017, 14:25 »
Now I had it on my Mark 6 with 18" wheels and made it a priority to have on my new R especially with 19"s!
But! odd this it rides as good in normal as my Mk6 did in comfort and better than my wife's MK7 GTI without DCC on 18s.
Doesn't make sense to me AWD? Normal softer?. Whatever comfort seems truly comfort.
I would recommend it without hesitation on a GTI/D/R especially of specifying 19"s

I too have found that the R rides a bit better than the GTI (and I have 19's on the R... 18's were on the GTI). Maybe its due to the extra weight, the car being a bit more planted. The springs are also different in the R to cope with that extra bit of weight.

I think I'd be tempted to spec DCC if I were going again though, as it seems anyone who does have it seems to think its great and there are times when my own car just feels a bit too harsh and it'd be nice to press a "comfort" button.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2017, 15:23 »
The R definitely rides a bit better than the GTI and GTD. Having spent enough time in examples of each I'd say the bump absorption on the R is much more refined over sharp motorway joints and such like. The trade off for some odd reason is the R's turning circle being like an oil tanker's.
I've had plenty of cars I've added suspension kits to in the past and generally grew to hate them as the springs were always too firm for UK roads but I've never felt the need for DCC, and I'm quite fussy. I've run GTI PP and R on both 18" and 19" wheels and although there's a difference in ride quality you'd have to be extremely sensitive to notice it in general use on normal roads.
I sometimes wonder why people buy hotted up hatches if they're not prepared to accept limitations caused by the necessity of stiffer suspension, and it's not as if VW are hardcore enough to go for extreme settings in their conservative range of cars.
I've run various permutations over the years on all generations of Golf right through from mk1 to four mk7's plus numerous hire cars. Cars I've changed for stiffer springs have all suffered in the ride department but stiffer dampers have improved body control no end. I tried Koni FSD's on a mk5 GTI, but again they were a compromise, and although I initially liked them as they made the car a bit more fleet footed I found they bottomed out on the bump stops too readily and actually raised the suspension height on standard springs.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2017, 16:37 »
I have it on my R with 19s but am fairly indifferent to it as I was on my mk6 GTI (also on 19s).  I specced it only as I'd had it previously and wondered if it would offer any enhancement over the previous incarnation but being honest I don't really think it does. I have been in a mk7 GTD (on 19's) without DCC a fair few times and thought the ride was absolutely fine. I appreciate that it is adaptive and changing to the road conditions and driving style etc, but if budgets were tight I wouldn't be overly upset at dropping it from a future spec list.  I mainly have it set to Sport or Normal and have probably used Comfort twice in 20 months ownership. But then I much prefer my suspension on the firmer site and am not a lover of a cushioned ride. I can appreciate it may be highly desirable option and even a necessity for many but I think I can take or leave it personally.  If I had a reasonable budget for options and it meant not missing out on some other wishlist options then I'd probably spec it (not getting any younger so who how the bones will hold up in future) but if it was a decision over DCC and say Dynaudio then I'd drop it without regret.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2017, 16:40 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Madeinireland

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2017, 21:47 »
Thanks for the input everyone - it seems on balance I should have it - but now I need to be concerned that I'm not ticking the Dynaudio box as well going on your reply Booth11.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2017, 21:52 »
I think the standard audio system is very good and I do like my tunes. It delivers a good meaty sound. Everyone who spec's Dynaudio says it's great so I'd be very curious myself to hear how much better it is over stock.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2017, 22:13 »
Dynaudio is very good and the generation in the mk7 is quite noticeably better than the previous gen in the mk6. It's not just that it delivers a deep rich sound (once speakers are bedded in) but as far as value for money options go, I think it is outstanding for the price.  Many people say the standard setup is pretty good and don't doubt it but if you have a spare few £££ kicking around spend it on Dynaudio and you won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2017, 22:15 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2017, 22:17 »
Dynaudio is very good and the generation in the mk7 is quite noticeably better than the previous gen in the mk6. It's not just that it delivers a deep rich sound (once speakers are bedded in) but as far as value for money options go, I think it is outstanding for the price.

A little off topic but how long did it take for your speakers to bed in? What are your current settings? I've been playing around with the settings an awful lot and I can't seem to fine the right balance just yet.