Author Topic: New tyres  (Read 4994 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: New tyres
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2017, 16:58 »
On the Sport Contact 5's I've heard as low as 10k on the fronts on a stock GTI/GTD... I'd be wanting 14k ish for fronts really.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2017, 17:17 »
Thanks for that, it seems low but then my Pirellis would've gone at the front ages ago if not rotated. Be interesting to hear of others experience too for comparison, also of the Goodyears which can be had for under £130 a corner.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2017, 17:58 »
Depends what you're after I guess. In terms of performance the new PS 4S is probably a superior tyre than all those you mention and seems much improved in the wet than the old MPSS. But it only comes in 19" (so far) and it is rather pricey being a brand new model with all the latest "technology" etc.
I read that they will be introducing other sizes from March 2018. I'm not sure if the extra performance is worth the extra money. :undecided:

I'm planning on a set of standard Michelin PS4's, as they should be the best for wear. Wet performance has been shown in tests to drop significantly as tyres wear. My theory is - the longer a tyres lasts, the longer the performance will last. Also, any drop in performance should be gradual.

I believe the Michelins also have the "Premium Touch Effect" side walls. Which are designed to have a velvet appearance :cool:
« Last Edit: 17 May 2017, 17:59 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2017, 19:43 »

I suspect the noise you are hearing is more wind and sh!tty road surface problems than tyres anyway

You`re probably right there.

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2017, 22:08 »
All tyres now have "pass by" noise levels on the label. Whilst this is different to "in car" noise, it's still a good guide.

One may be 69bd and another 72db. Seems a small difference numerically, but that 3db difference equates to double the noise our ears hear.

If you want quiet, Pirelli  (and probably others) now make OE tyres for Audi with a foam liner inside the tyre. This drastically reduces the noise passing into the cabin.

Oh, and yeah - I work in tyres so I'm a bit of a geek on the topic.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2017, 23:44 »
All tyres now have "pass by" noise levels on the label. Whilst this is different to "in car" noise, it's still a good guide.

One may be 69bd and another 72db. Seems a small difference numerically, but that 3db difference equates to double the noise our ears hear.

If you want quiet, Pirelli  (and probably others) now make OE tyres for Audi with a foam liner inside the tyre. This drastically reduces the noise passing into the cabin.

Oh, and yeah - I work in tyres so I'm a bit of a geek on the topic.

That's blown it an expert in tyres. But aren't Pirelli still soft as putty. I remember them on my mk1 and 2 in 80s. Lifespan 10k. Tyres surely are noiser due to low profiles lack of sidewall flex? It doesn't bother me, as fair trade off. Btw I like this foam layer idea. Geek, you're in the right place :wink:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2017, 08:35 »
Nowadays you can't really say a particular brand is this or that. They all have so many products in their line up. Tyres are always a comprise between certain performance measures.  Want good grip? Then wear will be poor. Want a tyre to last 50k then it ain't gonna grip.

The big challenge facing OE tyre makers currently is environmental pressures from govt (boring I know). It's all about emissions and road noise. The OE bridgestones that most people don't like are particularly strong in this area. The compromise being wet grip.

My final geek fact is on Michelin.  They're the compound masters. They now make an intermediate wet tyre for motorsport that has no tread. It's a slick for the wet. The compound is so clever that they can achieve faster lap times in the wet without the need for tread.

Offline cyclopops

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2017, 13:14 »
Don76

Which tyre would you recommend with a budget of £90max?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2017, 14:16 »

I don't think you'll get any of the ones we are talking about here for 90 quid ?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2017, 14:29 »

I don't think you'll get any of the ones we are talking about here for 90 quid ?

Yes you can :whistle:

5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17