Author Topic: Need help with 1.8t  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
Need help with 1.8t
« on: 25 April 2017, 20:43 »
Hi guya, my 1.8t is being a nightmare again, it struggles to start, when it drives there is no boost (Boost gauge read vacuum but no boost at all) even if you really rev it theres no boost, ive changed pipes near inlet manifold incase of leaks, I did notice one of the pipes going into the rocker was badly split, but this has been sealed temporarily so I can see if that was it, it was not. Ive just scanned it with vag com and am getting 2 codes, P1602 / 18010 & P0102 / 16486. Somewhere else on VCDS lite I remember seeing Secondary air injection "failed or incomplete"? if this helps, many many many thanks in advance
2002 Golf Gti 1.8T (AUM) LC9Z

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Need help with 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2017, 22:13 »
Unplug your maf and see how it goes as one of the codes point to that  :smiley:

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2017, 07:42 »
Hi, thanks for the reply, I tried unplugging the MAF and it still runs the same, So i checked the plug that goes into the maf, I noted my Actual maf has 5 pins but my plug only has for pins and one little green blanking plug where the 1st wire would be?

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2017, 08:01 »
Using vagcom while car is running, check the engine section and go to measuring blocks I cannot remember which block you read but if you cycle them you will notice that you will eventually get to one that will show the mass airflow reading, this will confirm that your MAF is working so you can rule that out.

Your first error code is related to the battery being disconnected at some point, your second error code is your MAF, i would recommend that you buy some electronic contact cleaner and use that to clean up your MAF, or even see if you have a friend that has the same engine that you could maybe borrow their MAF to test on your car.

Do you by any chance have an induction kit? If its a K&N that has the cone coated in cleaning oil these are known for killing MAFs.

I would hazzard a guess that you have a boost leak, check every single boost pipe, vac hose especially the turbo inlet pipe from the MAF going down to the turbo, check all the little vac lines under the inlet manifold and the pancake pipe connecting to your side mount intercooler.

Failing that worse case it could be the turbo :(
« Last Edit: 26 April 2017, 08:08 by Nino »
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2017, 13:23 »
HI, thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it :) I used to have a cone filter from an s2000 which ive removed and put back on a few times, which is how I discovered I split the rocker breather pipe. At the moment I have the standard air box with a k&n panel filter. I have some cleaner I will try to clean MAF later, I have Friday off work so im going to have a boost leak test done and hopefully will be able to rule out a boost leak or fix any existing

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2017, 19:58 »
Keep us posted :)
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2017, 20:11 »
UPDATE, SO I complete disassembled the MAF & Cleaned, this didn't remedy it. I did however read somewhere online that the MAP sensor (on inter-cooler) So I ran the car with this unplugged, the car will now create around 3PSI Boost, It used to create about 5-6 (standard amount), Is this all down to a faulty MAP sensor? I would of thought it could boost to full standard level (5-6 PSI)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2017, 12:49 »
Map unplugged would send into limp mode eventually as it cant read the boost

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2017, 21:54 »
ive checked every pipe possible for leaks including pancake pipe, the only thing that got a response from the car was the old map sensor, ive order a new one & hoping it sorts it, if not i dont know where to go

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2017, 12:51 »
****FIXED**** :) IT WAS THE MAP SENSOR