Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142385 times)

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular
jjgreenwood - ahem, while we have your attention, would it be possible to find out from VWUK exactly how many Clubsports (not CSS) ended up being imported - as an owner, I would be very grateful and interested to know. :smiley:  I have tried myself but they just quoted the original press release number of 1,000 - I reckon there's only around 800.

Also, good luck with your sale, I doubt whether it be around long at that price.  :cool:

They think it's 1000 as they didn't ask for any additional allocation and quite a few were sold to fleet customers, but they looking into it for me.
Sales Manager - Inchcape Volkswagen Swindon

VW Golf GTI Clubsport S - GO15 CSS

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
jjgreenwood - ahem, while we have your attention, would it be possible to find out from VWUK exactly how many Clubsports (not CSS) ended up being imported - as an owner, I would be very grateful and interested to know. :smiley:  I have tried myself but they just quoted the original press release number of 1,000 - I reckon there's only around 800.

Also, good luck with your sale, I doubt whether it be around long at that price.  :cool:

They think it's 1000 as they didn't ask for any additional allocation and quite a few were sold to fleet customers, but they looking into it for me.

Show me a car with a plaque reading above 900!
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here

Many thanks. :smiley:  As above I'm not aware of any with a plaque beginning with an 8.

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular

Many thanks. :smiley:  As above I'm not aware of any with a plaque beginning with an 8.

Had a reply back 570 were imported to the UK out of a possible 1000 due to production ending early.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

Had a reply back 570 were imported to the UK out of a possible 1000 due to production ending early.

Good work!

I've seen a few with plaques higher than that but the numbers don't seem to run in any apparent order. I've seen some early cars with higher numbers and mine is in the two hundreds yet wasn't registered until the end of March 2017.

Were Swindon VW the biggest uptakers of Clubsports? You did have more than your fair share on the VW used website recently!  :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here

Great, thanks for finding out.  Makes a mockery of the numbers mind, as mine is 704.

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular

Good work!

I've seen a few with plaques higher than that but the numbers don't seem to run in any apparent order. I've seen some early cars with higher numbers and mine is in the two hundreds yet wasn't registered until the end of March 2017.

Were Swindon VW the biggest uptakers of Clubsports? You did have more than your fair share on the VW used website recently!  :laugh:

I don't think so. We did run quite a few as demo and staff cars, our fleet department sold a lot but I can't remember selling one new through the showroom or over the internet. We did do well out of Clubsport S and we do seem to sell more than our fair share of Golf R and other performance golfs.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

I don't think so. We did run quite a few as demo and staff cars, our fleet department sold a lot but I can't remember selling one new through the showroom or over the internet. We did do well out of Clubsport S and we do seem to sell more than our fair share of Golf R and other performance golfs.

I don't expect that many dealers sold any at retail.
They were expensive cars compared to an R for those that would have been looking at the two side by side.
You've just got to look at the forum traffic on VWROC to see that most people would spend their money on the technically superior and better value R. It's only really GTI die-hards that looked beneath the skin of the Clubsport further plus those that didn't want the conservative styling and driving dynamics of the R.

Obviously the CSS was a different kettle of fish and reached out to different people but it did put the GTI back on the map.

Thanks for the info, it makes interesting reading and you've been a lot more helpful than VW UK have been to those that approached the importers directly. :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
Do either of these models have heated seats?  I assume the CSS with it's super-duper buckets doesn't but what about the Edition 40?
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular
Do either of these models have heated seats?  I assume the CSS with it's super-duper buckets doesn't but what about the Edition 40?

CSS has heated seats