Author Topic: Wax vs Sealant vs Coating  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Wax vs Sealant vs Coating
« on: 28 March 2017, 19:01 »
As the arrival of my new car approaches :rolleyes: I'm giving some serious thought on how to keep it looking like it has come out of the showroom.

There are a some new products to consider since I last looked at the subject seriously. Also I will have 2 cars to look after - his and hers.

There are a lot of new wax products available. The sealant options look similar. However, there are ceramic coating which I was not aware of 6 years ago :huh:

I'm well aware that the look of a car depends in how much time and/or money I'm prepared to spend. With pro detailing and ceramic coatings being the best option...

... going out for dinner... more later...
« Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 13:45 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wax vs Sealant vs Coating
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2017, 21:54 »
As the arrival of my new car approaches :rolleyes: I'm giving some serious thought on how to keeping it looking like it has come out of the showroom.

There are a some new products to consider since I last looked at the subject seriously. Also I will have 2 cars to look after - his and hers.

There are a lot of new wax products available. The sealant options look similar. However, there are ceramic coating which I was not aware of 6 years ago :huh:

I'm well aware that the look of a car depends in how much time and/or money I'm prepared to spend. With pro detailing and ceramic coatings being the best option...

Whatever you decide on, ideally you want to aim for it looking better than showroom, lol.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2017, 08:42 »
As the arrival of my new car approaches :rolleyes: I'm giving some serious thought on how to keeping it looking like it has come out of the showroom.

Whatever you decide on, ideally you want to aim for it looking better than showroom, lol.

:grin: there should be a like button for this.
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2017, 19:09 »
lol

From what I can gather -

WAX = the more prep the better the end result, easy to use, good results, needs to be applied 2 or 3 times a year.

SEALANT = the more prep the better the end result, easy to use, not as glossy as wax, only needs applied 1 or 2 times a year.

Prosumer Ceramic Coatings = paint needs full decontamination and preparation, must be applied carefully following instructions, will last 1-2 years

Professional Ceramic Coatings = must be applied by a detailer (requires sanding off if improperly applied :shocked:) will last years.

As it is a new car I was considering applying something like Gtechniq Serum Light. However, I imagine that tar will stick to anything. Therefore, the car is still going to need a good clean summer and winter. Though will a quick rub down with tardis be all that is required?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2017, 19:47 »
lol

From what I can gather -

WAX = the more prep the better the end result, easy to use, good results, needs to be applied 2 or 3 times a year.

SEALANT = the more prep the better the end result, easy to use, not as glossy as wax, only needs applied 1 or 2 times a year.

Prosumer Ceramic Coatings = paint needs full decontamination and preparation, must be applied carefully following instructions, will last 1-2 years

Professional Ceramic Coatings = must be applied by a detailer (requires sanding off if improperly applied :shocked:) will last years.

As it is a new car I was considering applying something like Gtechniq Serum Light. However, I imagine that tar will stick to anything. Therefore, the car is still going to need a good clean summer and winter. Though will a quick rub down with tardis be all that is required?

Regardless of the choice of protection, good prep and careful application is the key.  If you are applying a long life coating, a full decontamination prep is an absolute necessity otherwise you will be sealing in contaminants.  Car should also ideally be machine polished to remove any swirls first, otherwise, again you will be sealing these in. 

WAX - it varies depending on the wax you use, but IMO a more realistic estimate - application every 3 months at best.

SEALANT - again depends what you choose as to longevity, but some sacrificial sealants such as Gtechniq C2v3 require more regular application than 1-2 times a year, much like wax. 

Remember with both wax and sealants (and quite possibly, coatings), manufacturers overstate the lifespan, sometimes greatly, a bit like VW with mpg figures, lol.

Professional Ceramic Coatings - it's really only likes of Gtechniq Crystal Serum that can only be removed by wet sanding, many other coatings (pro applied) can be removed by machine polishing.

Coatings will repel contaminants to an extent, but ultimately over time, tar, sap, iron/fallout deposits will embed themselves into the paint and will need to be removed a few times a year by proper full decontamination process - de-iron; de-tar and possibly claying. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2017, 11:28 »
Coatings will repel contaminants to an extent, but ultimately over time, tar, sap, iron/fallout deposits will embed themselves into the paint and will need to be removed a few times a year by proper full decontamination process - de-iron; de-tar and possibly claying.
... that's the thing... if I'm still going to have to do a decontamination anyway, adding a coat of wax or sealant to a prepped car is the easy bit.

Though I'm considering buying a red car. I know with the solid colours how hard it is to avoid swirl marks. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and EXOv3 claim to resist swirls.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2017, 20:08 by Daz Auto »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2017, 13:07 »
... that's the thing... if I'm still going to have to do a decontamination anyway, adding a coat of wax or sealant to a prepped car is the easy bit.

Though I'm considering a red car. I know with the solid colours how hard it is to avoid swirl marks. Gtechnic Crystal Serum light and EXO 3 claim to resist swirls.

Yep that is the easy bit.  :smiley:

I don't use coatings but have noted feedback from those that do. Someone I know who has Gtechniq Crystal Serum on his car observes it is good for resisting swirls and after 2 plus years still has little in the way of swirling and no major DA polishing has been required.  Others who have Crystal Serum Light and Exo have said they still have swirling and are of the opinion it is limited in terms of swirl resistance. Obviously these are subjective opinions of others based on their experience of both coatings.  I guess time will tell for you.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual