Author Topic: Obsessive Detail colour charged Clarity Wax - review  (Read 12000 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Gave it a maintenance wash yesterday and decided to try out the new Obsessive Detail Clarity DBP Wax today (branded for VWROC).  I've tried and reviewed a few of Obsessive Details products now and have been impressed.  This is the first wax of theirs I have tried.  OD formulated their Clarity Wax for specific use on the Mk7 R colours but most will be applicable to GTI and GTD, with the exception of Carbon Grey. 

http://www.obsessivedetail.co.uk/protection?pagenumber=2

Anyway onto the wax itself.  Having a Deep Black Pearl car obviously I went for the DBP wax.  I didn’t have time to wax the whole car today but did the whole front of the car – bonnet, wings and bumper.   

The car had a full wash – ValetPro Advanced Snow Foam, followed by ValetPro Citrus Pre-wash, ValetPro Bilberry on the wheels and 3 bucket wash with Swissvax Car Bath Shampoo, dried off with WoWo Drying Towels, tyres dressed with Achem Hi-shine Longlife Tyre Dressing and tailpipes polished with Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish.

Car pre-rinse after snow foam and citrus pre-wash

Prep - car washed and dried, time for the wax.   Before applying the wax, I went over the whole area to be waxed with Gtechniq Panel Wipe on a microfibre to remove all existing wax and QD, and ensure a perfectly clean base ready for the OD wax for best bonding. 

Application - the OD Clarity wax was very easy to apply with my favourite Auto Finesse foam applicator, which as luck would have it perfectly fits the OD pot – bonus!  I left the wax on one side of the bonnet to haze for 10 mins and on the other side for 15-20 mins to see the difference in buffing off.  I like to test a new wax in this way to see it’s hazing limits.  In today’s weather conditions, 10 minutes was about right – the hazed wax had slight ‘grab’ but buffed off easily with a WoWo microfibre.  The wax that was left to haze for 15-20 mins was much more ‘grabby’ and more effort to buff 10 mins seems to be the sweet spot.   After buffing off I gave a final all over buff with a DoDo Juice Fantastic Fur plush microfibre. 

The results are truly lovely.  Beautiful wet look gloss, great depth on the DBP paint and enhances the flake very nicely.  Sun was a bit hit and miss so getting decent flake shots was not the easiest, but in the flesh it pops in the sunshine! 

Results

Pearl flake

In the absence of rain (yippee) I thought I run a hose spray over the waxed panels to observe the water behavior and see the repellency of the wax.  Extremely impressed with the hydrophobicity and left fantastic beading.  Can’t wait for some real rain now to see rain beading. 

I also did a quick video of the water behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_rp3SQfUug

To conclude – only done part of the car, but looks like its shaping up to be a very good wax indeed.  No idea of the longevity but will see how it performs over the next few weeks and am really looking forward to using it on the whole car when I do my full Spring detail.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2017, 15:33 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: Obsessive Detail colour charged Clarity Wax - review
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2017, 17:41 »
Great review of the Wax Bec.

It does really work well and like I said and you also..the wet look finish it leaves is great and will look especially nice is the summer sunshine when it arrives.

Yep agree I too left the wax on longer on part of my car and did find it more of a effort to buff up so think the 10mins is about right.

Your beading shots look good and just shows how well the wax works so hats off to Obsessive Detail they've produced another fine product. I'm liking there stuff a lot... :cool:

Car looks stunning by the way!! :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2017, 18:36 »
An extremely impressive job but better than your usual wax? It's hard to tell from the images as your cleaning standards are so high. One question though, what is the benefit of the colour matched waxes? I had a look on the link and there's no information. I'm pleased with the results from my wax but could be convinced to give this a go.

Oh, and a great write up, plenty of detail and no waffle, thanks :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2017, 18:56 »
Great review of the Wax Bec.

It does really work well and like I said and you also..the wet look finish it leaves is great and will look especially nice is the summer sunshine when it arrives.

Yep agree I too left the wax on longer on part of my car and did find it more of a effort to buff up so think the 10mins is about right.

Your beading shots look good and just shows how well the wax works so hats off to Obsessive Detail they've produced another fine product. I'm liking there stuff a lot... :cool:

Car looks stunning by the way!! :cool:

Thanks Mr GTD.  It does look to be a really promising wax. Love the wet look which is not a given with many waxes. I've used a few of their products now and they only thing wasn't so keen on was the nano sealant but that probably says more about my love of wax than the product itself......nano sealants just don't do it for me on paint, fine for wheels and glass though. 

The glass cleaner is ace, I used it yesterday and I agree with you, it's actually better than Gtechniq G6 and Autogylm Fast Glass and that's saying something as they are both top glass cleaners. I'll be trying their Iron/fallout remover in April so will let you know what that is like.

An extremely impressive job but better than your usual wax? It's hard to tell from the images as your cleaning standards are so high. One question though, what is the benefit of the colour matched waxes? I had a look on the link and there's no information. I'm pleased with the results from my wax but could be convinced to give this a go.

Oh, and a great write up, plenty of detail and no waffle, thanks :smiley:

Colour charged waxes can add more depth to the paint than non coloured waxes.  A classic example is DoDo Juice Blue Velvet Pro wax with is a deep blue colour.  On a black car it darkens the DBP and gives a depth that some waxes cannot achieve.  The trade-off with Blue Velvet is it knocks back the metallic/pearl flake a little. 

Obviously I've only used the OD DBP Wax once on selected panels but it offers great depth and deepens, but without dulling down the flake which is a big plus IMO.  I can't yet comment on the durability and longevity of the OD wax yet, but on the finish front it is impressive, a very wet-look deep gloss. 

How does it compare to the Swissvax waxes I've been using?  It doesn't quite reach the heights of those and they remain my favourite waxes, but the OD looks to be a very good wax. Swissvax waxes are not colour charged but deliver superb depth and pop the flake like no other wax I've used and at the same time offer great clarity.  I suspect it's all in the carnauba content - that gives them the edge.  They are also unbelievably easy to apply and best of all have a very long working time - you can apply to the whole car in one go and leave for as long as you want before buffing off, hours if you like.  But the longevity is not the best and some of them need to be applied every month.  And then there's the price - Swissvax is pricy, very pricy in some cases. 

The OD gives fantastic results (subject to longevity being monitored) for a very reasonable price. It has a much shorter working time but that's no different to many waxes. It's early days, but for the money it looks to be great wax at a good price point and a real challenger to the likes of DoDo Juice, Auto Finesse Desire, and Collinite waxes I've used.  I will do the whole car with it when I do my spring detail and use it through the summer.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2017, 19:09 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2017, 19:41 »
Thanks for taking the time for that, much appreciated. I think I'll stick with what I've got for now and concentrate on improving the finish, clay and polish is the priority.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2017, 20:50 »
That looks stunning.
How long did it take you to do start to finish?
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2017, 20:58 »
That looks stunning.
How long did it take you to do start to finish?

To wax it?  Well I've only applied this Obsessive Detail wax to the front - bonnet, wings and bumper - as yet due to time contestants yesterday but will be doing the whole car with it when I do my spring detail.

It took me an hour to pre-wash, bucket wash and dry the car and dress tailpipes, tyres etc.  Then about half hour to prep the front of the car (panel wipe) and wax it including hazing time and buffing off. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2017, 12:44 »
Rebecca, that looks fantastic, I have been contemplating a new wax and this looks like the one for me based on your review, I know longevity is a unknown at this point but I think I will go for it, I guess DBP mk6 = DBP mk7, I'm after a glass cleaner also and the OD you rate very highly too so I think I will go with that also.

Can you recommend a wheel finisher polish wax? I'm getting a bit tired of Poorboys wheel sealant, great results but seems hard work, the missed tale tale signs of pink are a give away. Just running low now and even though I'm satisfied with the PB product has wheel finishing products moved on?
35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2017, 15:50 »
Rebecca, that looks fantastic, I have been contemplating a new wax and this looks like the one for me based on your review, I know longevity is a unknown at this point but I think I will go for it, I guess DBP mk6 = DBP mk7, I'm after a glass cleaner also and the OD you rate very highly too so I think I will go with that also.

Can you recommend a wheel finisher polish wax? I'm getting a bit tired of Poorboys wheel sealant, great results but seems hard work, the missed tale tale signs of pink are a give away. Just running low now and even though I'm satisfied with the PB product has wheel finishing products moved on?

Hi Peter,

Yes Deep Black Pearl exactly same on mk6 and mk7.  It's a lovely wax, a really deep wet look that is perfect for DBP, just make sure you don't leave it on too long, buff off after 10 mins max I would say. 

The OD Clarity Glass Cleaner is really superb stuff, no streaks at all, and a breeze to use.  Highly recommend.

On the wheel wax front, I've been using Gtechniq C2v3 selant on mine and top it up once a month.  It's no a dedicated wheel sealant or coating such as the likes off Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour, Gyeon Q2 RIM or CaPro DLUX (all wheels off applications), but it does a fine job IMO, as long as you apply it every 4-6 weeks.  Very easy to apply and buff off to, and best of all it's clear so no pink/white residue which is the main downside to Poorboys Wheel Sealant. There's always a bit that got missed and really noticeable on black wheels like the Glendales, I don't miss that!   Give it a go!  I also use it as a glass sealant (after cleaning) as it's fantastic on glass.  So C2v3 lacks the qualities I look for for paint/bodywork finish, but is great for wheels and glass IMO, where depth of finish is not really a consideration. 

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2017, 16:47 »
Thanks Rebecca, I will order all three.
35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1