Author Topic: MK7.5 retrofit  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Dubbit

• Not said much yet
MK7.5 retrofit
« on: 14 March 2017, 11:30 »
Maybe bit early but wondered if would be possible to retrofit the new speedometer screen or new infotainment.

Anyone know anything about this or plans in the pipeline? :drool:

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: MK7.5 retrofit
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2017, 11:49 »
Completely different shape, a new dash and it would be possible I would imagine. :wink:

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2017, 12:02 »
Completely different shape, a new dash and it would be possible I would imagine. :wink:

The dash is exactly the same... only the surrounding trims would need changing. But that would the least of your problems (and costs!)
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2017, 12:08 »
I don't think it will work because the display itself is driven off of the MIB3 unit.

Add in good old component protect and the inevitable £xxxx part purchase cost and it would be cheaper to sell your current Mk7 and buy a new 7.5!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dubbit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2017, 20:25 »
ah well was a nice thought

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2017, 08:43 »

Not a fan of LCD units as its simply a screen and O/S and in not too distant even the most budget makes and model will have them as standard - great for manufacturers though as have to produce one unit only and just have some configuration in software for the model.

The Golf dials are not a great case as an example, but if was losing the S3 dials for a screen not be overly happy.

So that's me very much in the dial camp, but do work in tech industry, surrounded by this kind of thing and have a house full of tech, so its not like I am anti in general, and maybe could be more swayed if the LCD screens that were seeing were not so flat and uninspiring - Have seen displays that really pop, just much more dimensional and attractive, these genuinely look like they are from a PS4 game and can definitely see budget makes not having anything less.

But its a new roll out, sure the developers will update the software.

Also given my MIB unit has had black screen moments, its not a moment you would want from your display

Personally think once there is a saturation of car market with soulless solid state tech everyone will be clamoring for dials again or be happy they still have them

Its subjective, can see how some will want, but definitely not missing out to point of a retrofit, go spend money on a holiday somewhere :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2017, 09:26 »

Not a fan of LCD units as its simply a screen and O/S and in not too distant even the most budget makes and model will have them as standard - great for manufacturers though as have to produce one unit only and just have some configuration in software for the model.

The Golf dials are not a great case as an example, but if was losing the S3 dials for a screen not be overly happy.

So that's me very much in the dial camp, but do work in tech industry, surrounded by this kind of thing and have a house full of tech, so its not like I am anti in general, and maybe could be more swayed if the LCD screens that were seeing were not so flat and uninspiring - Have seen displays that really pop, just much more dimensional and attractive, these genuinely look like they are from a PS4 game and can definitely see budget makes not having anything less.

But its a new roll out, sure the developers will update the software.

Also given my MIB unit has had black screen moments, its not a moment you would want from your display

Personally think once there is a saturation of car market with soulless solid state tech everyone will be clamoring for dials again or be happy they still have them

Its subjective, can see how some will want, but definitely not missing out to point of a retrofit, go spend money on a holiday somewhere :)

Agree with almost everything that you write. Funnily enough I am also the most tech savvy person between my friends and family and the last thing I could be called is anti-tech. Still, the latest trend of screens over dials in cars has not attracted me to the slightest. A combo between the two like physical needles over rich, bigger screens changing the info on a part of the screen could be the way to go but there has to be at least an analog, mechanical element (and feeling) in the dash imo.

Oh and I think they're going to be several "funny" moments of dead/bricked/stuck screens when they get more common, that will be interesting...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2017, 10:33 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again... its already "computer controlled". At the moment the computer actuates the mechanical needle based on digital information received from other sensors.

This is just the final transformation.

Your Mk7 already has just about everything computer controlled, even the things you think are mechanical.

Probably you should stick to cars from pre-2000 if you want that feeling of "mechanical engagement"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2017, 10:37 »
Shiny shiny shiny.

Analogue dials to become the upgrade option? I mean who wants a highly accurate cheap quartz watch when you can spend incredible sums on a way less accurate mechanical watch possibly vaguely made in Switzerland?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2017, 10:57 »
Maybe on a £2 million pound car you can spec clocks hand made by Swiss gnomes at the Rolex factory.

On a £27k car maybe not...