Author Topic: 1 day, two dirty cars (no golfs, both VAG)  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Waspy

• I live here
1 day, two dirty cars (no golfs, both VAG)
« on: 21 February 2017, 21:03 »
Sorry not many pictures. I was short on time and had two cars to clean!

So the first was my '09 Scirocco, picked up from the dealer 2 weeks ago, so I was itching to give it a proper wash and protect. The dealer seem to have done nothing other that run a hose over it prior to me picking it up...

The second was my parents '13 Seat Leon. It was an embarrassment, so I offered to clean it up while I was doing mine.

There was nothing fancy about the process, just the usuals. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to do a full decontamination, or polish up the tailpipes :(

- Pre-wash (foam)
- Wheels (AutoGlym Wheel cleaner)
- Power Wash Rinse
- Dodo Juice Born to be mild + Lambswool wash (given I was stripping the cars back, this probably wasnt the best shampoo for the job, but I had it, and I like it)
- Rinse
- Wash again
- Dry
- Clay bar'd a few stubborn contaminants
- Polish (Meguiars Ultimate Compound)
- IPA wipe down to remove any residual polish
- Sonax Polymer Net Shield

The Sonax is a new product for me which I haven't used before but had read a lot about online so though I would give it a go. I tend to use Dodo Juice waxes, so something so different was a bit of a novelty, but it went on okay, so time will tell what the performance is like. This product is the real reason for the thread. My car (generally) gets regular washes, while my parents just gets left to sit in its own filth. So I am interested how the Sonax will last under each condition.

The Leon was used half was through my wash (just got it polished ready for protecting) :angry: and the wheels came back pretty dirty, so they didn't end up getting any protection. The Scirocco got a spray on wheel sealant because honestly, I took one look at the wheels and thought "I'm not doing them by hand". If the protection isn't up to scratch though I'll do them with Poorboys.

Before:

After:

(this was after first wash)

The before pictures don't do the Leon justice. It was way worse than the Scirocco!
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: 1 day, two dirty cars (no golfs, both VAG)
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2017, 21:16 »
Great turn around, both look like cracking motors.  :cool:

Bet your parents were well chuffed.
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2017, 21:54 »
Really great double job Waspy.  Both look superb.  :cool:

Let us know your thoughts on the Netshield as time goes by. Interested to hear how you find it.  Don't blame you for using a spray sealant on those wheels.  Poorboys Wheel Sealant is great stuff but can be pig to buff off and usually some bits of pink residue left somewhere.  I used it for years but switched to using Gtechniq C2v3 on the wheels a year or so ago, which I find works really well on wheels and glass (don't like it on paint) and not bits of pink in the wheel bolt covers.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2017, 10:22 »
Job well done. They both look great! :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 12:45 »
Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for the tips on the Gtechniq! I will give that a whirl (anything for an easy life and shiny car)

So first rain since the wash (didn't have to wait long huh?) and the beading looks pretty good. It seems to sheet with quite a low amount of rain, but still leaves beads behind.

It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2017, 21:23 »
Great job and some nice tall beads there ... it makes it all worth it seeing the results  :smiley:
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007