Author Topic: Lambda Sensor  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Westywestywesty

• Just got here
Lambda Sensor
« on: 21 December 2016, 13:23 »
Hi all, had my lambda sensor replaced a few weeks back and the engine management light came back on pretty much immediately, plugged in the computer (forgive me I'm female and the correct terminology is rather new to me :-)) and it came back with the same error code.

Today my mechanic friend came to check if the sensor has failed but when he tests it the sensor if performing correctly but the ECU is not picking up the signal suggesting a wiring issue. The car has no other faults coming out of the ECU just this one. Any ideas how to resolve quickly at minimum expense? The cars running a bit rich and smells a bit petrolly which is kind of annoying as costing me in the fuel.

He did check the earth wiring which was ok but had a bit of resistance on it. He's a great mechanic but electrical issues are not his forte.

So far since I bought it in July I have replaced starter motor, battery, 2 tyres and it needs brakes and rear calipers :-(

It's a MK4 Golf GTI 2.0 Petrol

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Lambda Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2016, 16:20 »
Easiest way is to check resistance on all the wires to the lambda. If theres a break you no wich wire and then replace that lenth.
Or find out which pinouts on the ecu are for the lambda and check there isnt one broke off or something. Ecu is in the centre under the wipers

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Lambda Sensor
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2016, 21:53 »
need to know the exact fault code really... so many garages will see the word "lambda" in a fault description and immediately jump to replace the sensor when 99% of the time it's a lambda correction fault meaning the lambda sensor is working fine and just telling you there is a fuelling problem.