Author Topic: DTUK pedal box query  (Read 4231 times)

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
DTUK pedal box query
« on: 03 August 2016, 14:07 »
Help!

Can anyone tell me if they are model specific?

I.E would a GTD pedal box work on a GTi etc? I appreciate the TUNING boxes are different but not PEDAL boxes?

Have seen one advertised for VAG TDi cars but unsure if it would work?

Anyone had experience??

DTUK have suggested model specific- however I find the customer service a tad flaky....

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: DTUK pedal box query
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2016, 04:54 »
Tuning boxes are indeed very different between petrol and Diesel models but the pedal boxes will fit all Mk7's, petrol or Diesel, manual or DSG. There maybe detail differences between models but I doubt it as they're very adjustable so it wouldn't be worth resellers stocking lots of fractionally different versions.

My GTI one went straight into my R as soon as I got home.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2017, 17:29 »
Hi @Exonian ...gret to get you thoughts , I had never thought of  a pedal box nevermind heard of such a thing , spoke to DTUKtoday and aside from amazing service they seemed extremely informed as well as reassured me about both the pedal box and performance box not being traceable by VAG ....would really value your thoughts ..?
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2017, 17:49 »
Hi @Exonian ...gret to get you thoughts , I had never thought of  a pedal box nevermind heard of such a thing , spoke to DTUKtoday and aside from amazing service they seemed extremely informed as well as reassured me about both the pedal box and performance box not being traceable by VAG ....would really value your thoughts ..?

***The pedal box is not in any way traceable***

They are supposed to be able to be traced even if they are removed. Some people will tell you anything when they're trying to sell you stuff :whistle:
« Last Edit: 16 November 2017, 18:13 by I wanted a GTi »
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2017, 17:50 »
Pedal box traceable, no (and probably never going to cause any warranty issues anyway)

Tuning box.... possibly...

This thread suggested VAG now had a mechanism to warranty flag vehicles (TXD) that had had them fitted, but removed before hitting the dealer:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280858.0

Ok, I'm sitting back now waiting for the tuning vs warranty arguments to come rolling in, but I'm just giving our friend here the information he asked for!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2017, 18:14 »
Pedal box traceable, no (and probably never going to cause any warranty issues anyway)

Tuning box.... possibly...

This thread suggested VAG now had a mechanism to warranty flag vehicles (TXD) that had had them fitted, but removed before hitting the dealer:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280858.0

Ok, I'm sitting back now waiting for the tuning vs warranty arguments to come rolling in, but I'm just giving our friend here the information he asked for!

Thanks for pointing that out Fred, I forgot to mention it but have not edited my post.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2017, 19:20 »
Tuning boxes have always been visible to dealers due to overboost errors amongst other things but it appears they've never gone looking for them. I would think as a responsible retailer the truth would be better said to potential customers rather than BS!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2017, 21:21 »
Tuning boxes have always been visible to dealers due to overboost errors amongst other things but it appears they've never gone looking for them. I would think as a responsible retailer the truth would be better said to potential customers rather than BS!!

Well said Chris.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2017, 07:02 »

Since my last post in this thread I’ve also had the same pedalbox fitted to a GTD and now an Ed40 Clubsport.
My advice would be to get the pedalbox first. Play about with the settings a bit. You’ll find the car’s standard power suddenly becomes more accessible, particularly the torque delivery and the car just wakes up. It suddenly feels like a hotter hatch than it did before.
One or two people don’t like them. Not many though.
I’ve got mine on a fairly aggressive setting at the moment and it catches me out at times. I was trying to ease through a gap into a vacant lane on a roundabout approach to go straight on where 99% of the traffic was queuing to turn left onto a dual carriageway.
I brushed the pedal and the car just took off! I felt a bit of a tit but it did make me laugh out loud!
On a moderate setting it makes the car feel punchy without getting a bit hyperactive.

The tuning box itself works well enough.
If VW dig deep enough they can find evidence of anything you’ve fitted from ECU readings. They’re only going to dig that deep if you suffer catastrophic component failure in all probability.
It’s just a risk you run.
Forums aren’t full of people suffering huge failures and getting warranties refuted.
These stories would spread like wildfire on the internet.
Keep the settings at sensible levels, don’t overtax the car by driving it flat out whilst running vastly higher boost than standard constantly, warm the engine thoroughly, change the oil often... just common sense stuff should minimise potential issues.

A tuning box is reactive. It picks up signals going to sensors downstream of the ECU and changes them. The ECU will then change boost and ignition timing to compensate for the modified signals the tuning box sends back to the sensors. So there’s a bit of two step dialogue going on.
The ECU is always compensating under load when a tuning box is fitted. Not ideal but also the reason the tuning box is harder to detect from diagnostic equipment.
An OBD remap has the boost and timing settings already sat waiting in the ECU itself so is easy to spot with diagnostic equipment but performs much more efficiently (assuming the remapper was any good) as it’s not being reactive.
A JB4 is about as good as a tuning box gets.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2017, 19:40 »
Super post Exonian ...really good read and informative .
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver