Author Topic: Erraticrockets mk4 1.8t (Few trackdays 29.6.13)  (Read 6698 times)

Offline erraticrocket

• Not said much yet
Erraticrockets mk4 1.8t (Few trackdays 29.6.13)
« on: 02 April 2013, 15:33 »
So bought my golf last year from a friend. I got it as my fiesta zetec s i owned prior just wasnt quick enough for what i wanted, and i knew the golf was going to be available so struck a deal.

Its fairly standard, aside from a stage 1 revo remap, pipercross panel filter, solid flywheel, and an unknown dv.Exterior wise it has a mk5 rear wiper and sharan badge. The rest is standard.

I have a few plans for it, firstly a picture, the only one i have for some reason

Plans at the moment are

-Powerflex dogbone mount, which i have but managed to shear off the first bolt i tried to undo. so will try again when i have the inclination
-4 motion front valence, saw one on my friends mk4, like the look of them
-silicone boost/breather hoses as the current ones are looking old/worse for wear etc
-few polybushes on the front suspension to tighten it up a bit, arb, droplink etc
-rear beam polybushes, advised on the MOT
-rear anti roll bar, eibach or KW
-rear tyres, again advised on the MOT

I dont use it day to day as i cycle to work, so generally a lot of my cars use is for track events. Its not a track car by any means, ive had those moneypits before. Ive got Mallory Park booked for mid May so thats the deadline for a few of the above plans

Thanks for reading, comments etc welcome
« Last Edit: 30 June 2013, 22:45 by erraticrocket »

Offline erraticrocket

• Not said much yet
Re: Erraticrockets mk4 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2013, 14:48 »
Well ill update this anyway, ive been working my way through the list above and have made pretty good progress

-Powerflex dogbone mount, which i have but managed to shear off the first bolt i tried to undo. so will try again when i have the inclination.Powerflex dogbone fitted with new mounting bolts
-4 motion front valence, saw one on my friends mk4, like the look of them Purchased an ebay 4 mo replica splitter, fits ok, looks how i want it to
-silicone boost/breather hoses as the current ones are looking old/worse for wear etc Replaced the breathers for Creations Motorsport silicone hoses, also replaced the top elbow boost hose for a silicone affair
-few polybushes on the front suspension to tighten it up a bit, arb, droplink etc Droplink polybushes purchased but not fitted
-rear beam polybushes, advised on the MOT New rear beam bushes fitted (Floflex polybushes)not overly impressed with how they fit, but then again they were cheap
-rear anti roll bar, eibach or KW
-rear tyres, again advised on the MOT New tyres fitted, Uniroyal Rainexperts

At the beginning of May i managed to get my first track outing in the golf, at this point all i had managed to fit were the dogbone and rear tyres, so the rear beam bushes were absolutely hopeless. The car performed well dispite this, the power on the straights making up for the floaty suspension. There were plenty of photographers on the day, heres a pretty good photo

That was at Mallory Park, one of my favourite circuits. I did make a few in car videos, which i may upload if theres any interest.

So after Mallory the brakes were pretty rubbish, I figured id boiled the fluid or something as the ABS started interfering later in the day. So i bled the air from the calipers, and a friend came over to help change the rear beam bushes as he had done them on his. We were able to knock the old bushes out in 20 seconds each side with a hammer, so they were pretty far gone but suprisingly didnt knock or anything.

Once the floflex items were in, i decided it was all good for a trip to the Nurburgring, which I had been missing for 3 years since the last time i went. Beautiful fantastic place. The Golf performed without fault, even in the rain i was suprised how well it handled, I was able to go alot quicker than most of the others out at the time.

Few pics ive found online

Anyways, i think thats it for now. I have some new brake fluid to go in, some ATE SuperBlue DOT 4 which ill do at some point before its next track outing
« Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 10:57 by erraticrocket »

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Re: Erraticrockets mk4 1.8t (Few trackdays 4.6.13)
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2013, 17:13 »
In car footage is always good!

Any from Nurburgring too?
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2013, 19:17 »
looks Like a good few days out  :cool:

Any plans for the suspension?

keep on top of updating the thread...like to see the progress  :wink:

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline erraticrocket

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2013, 22:00 »
Dave, the footage is on my mates account as a private video so I'll try and work out a way to link it onto here. Didn't capture any videos at the ring, I had the mount in but I thought they were strictly against filming, but didn't seem to enforce it, and the time I was ok to film I didn't have a camera with me lol

Ste, no plans for any suspension changes really. The most important things to me are tyres, then brakes, and then suspension. The tyres are excellent, the brakes not so much so, the new fluid should sort them out, if I find any cheap enough some 312mm carriers and decent pads. At the moment it's just standard VW pads and discs which are okish but not after a fair bit of abuse.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2013, 09:00 »
Got insurance for the 'ring or just winging it and hoping nothing goes wrong?  :huh:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline erraticrocket

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2013, 11:24 »
Yeah I had cover

Offline erraticrocket

• Not said much yet
Re: Erraticrockets mk4 1.8t (Few trackdays 29.6.13)
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2013, 21:23 »
I did another track day this weekend at a local circuit, Lydden Hill, its appeared on Top Gear a few times and is probably the shortest circuit i know. Anyway i took the golf out, i pretty much discovered power doesnt mean much on this circuit as the saxos and random other french hatchbacks were quicker overall, but still nice to stretch the golfs legs. The only picture i have seen is of me coming off the circuit

And a brief video my friend made, believe it or not coming down the hill im doing 80mph, doesnt look like it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Xv691qsO8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, found this in my boot, couple of dragonflys? getting it on

Cheeeers!