Author Topic: Black GTi 1.8 20v.......N/A! What? Is he on crack? etc.  (Read 23561 times)

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
  • MK III Flash Red 1.4 SE + MK V DBP 2.0T GTI
Well it's a sad day for me logging in with a now completely inappropriate username. Unfortunately I have moved on from mk3 life and bought a mk4 GTI. All is not lost though, my brother has taken it off my hands so that it'll still be around and I can keep an eye on it.

The only criteria I had for buying a 4 was it had to be 3 door, not a 1.4/1.6, and black. The following vehicle is the best example I could find for the money. Sure I would have liked a turbo, but none were up to my standards.

Down to business, here it is: a tidy black 3 door that's only done 60k miles. One owner from new serviced and MOT'd at the same time each year (13 stamps and cam belt done at 40k). Pictures from the advert:

Looks like you'd expect a mk4 to look like.

First day I got it:

Was impressed by it really. I miss my colour concept leathers quite badly though. Oh- it's a lot faster than the AEX too. But that's about all it's got going for it over my old 3. I'm not particularly in love with it if I'm honest, but I'm hoping once it's in a similar state of modification as the 3 that'll change. Having said that, modifying one of these appears to be significantly more expensive than older dubs! Gone are the days of 17 pound vr6 eBay splitters  :cry:

First on the agenda was a little bit of interior tidying. So I bought some tailored floor mats as it had lost its originals. I fitted my Pioneer head unit to give those actually pretty good speakers a bit more beef. And as we all know, by nature of its design, the interior plastics are known to eat themselves after very little abuse. So some carbon wrapping happened on the centre console, and I completely replaced the drivers door switch bank grab handle thing with an OEM part.

Wielding a dangerous combination of scalpel and hairdryer:

In place with head unit:

Don't know whether to do the rest or just keep it conservative at that. I think I have the centre console where the flanking strips don't come away, which could cause problems.

New vs. Old

And on the car:

So that got me enjoying the interior a little more. There are however some rather interesting electrical problems. The rear fog light sometimes comes on with the sidelights or even dipped beam, a wiggle of the switch usually fixes it so I think I need a replacement switch? Also, the drivers window only goes down using the one touch part of the switch, the partial depression makes it go up!

Next to come: external tinkering and decent external pictures.
Thank you for reading :nerd:

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
Re: Black GTi 1.8 20v.......N/A! What? Is he on crack? etc.
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2013, 16:57 »
I was greatly intrigued by this car when I first got it, due to me realising the fuel economy was incredibly bad. I was getting 22mpg out of it combined for the first week. But now after having done just over 500 miles in it, its sitting at an acceptable 35.8 mpg. This is in thanks mainly to me realising it doesn't need to be revved as hard as my old AEX to get moving/ accelerate!

Anyway, cream mirror replaced with black, and a GTI grill badge. At £26.08 from the local VW dealers, this was am eye-watering purchase.

And over to black:

Thanks to the nice weather the weekend just gone, I had chance to clay the car and machine polish it. Unfortunately due to low light levels I couldn't get much in the way of decent photographs, but have this one which also shows the results of a de-wipering procedure and addition of a Honda S2000 aerial:

And now some shots to give you a better feel for the car's condition.

And that's about it for now. I'm still figuring out the mk4 modifying scene, its a whole new ball game with all the bits you can get aside from the basics of wheels and lows.
Speaking of which, I'm hoping to get something like 3sdm 0.01s or BBS CH's or something to that style, and currently debating between coilovers, or shocks and springs.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Once again, thanks for reading.
Matt

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2013, 17:04 »
Looks tidy, shame about the engine though :tongue:

Do you think you could do me a favour and measure the s2000 aerial for me? I'm running a Polo one at the moment and it's slightly too long, the s2000 one looks a bit shorter.

As for lowering, remember that the MK4 arb goes over the driveshaft. When you lower it much more than 40mm the arb will rub on the driveshaft :angry:

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2013, 17:10 »
Looks tidy, shame about the engine though :tongue:

Do you think you could do me a favour and measure the s2000 aerial for me? I'm running a Polo one at the moment and it's slightly too long, the s2000 one looks a bit shorter.

It is a shame indeed, but is the story of my car ownership. Seem to always compromise on spec to get the quality!

S2000 aerial weighs in at a welterweight 7cm, and will result in chronic loss of reception. Even radio 1 struggles - thank goodness for iPods.

Gavv8

« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2013, 17:12 »
Mk3 was nicer... :sad:

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2013, 17:22 »
Mk3 was nicer... :sad:

I completely agree.
But don't worry, I live with my brother, so it will still be on my drive. I will keep posting updates on it in the associated thread.
And when it comes time to get rid of it, I will simply have it back! Provided he doesn't crash it (touchwood).

Gavv8

« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2013, 17:56 »
I really wish i could get a feel for the mk4 but i just can't, the R32 is a great looking car but all the others just look lumpy and heavy to me, i guess this is how mk2 owners feel about mk3's.
3SDM's would work well, CH's have been done to death.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2013, 18:40 »
I really wish i could get a feel for the mk4 but i just can't, the R32 is a great looking car but all the others just look lumpy and heavy to me, i guess this is how mk2 owners feel about mk3's.
3SDM's would work well, CH's have been done to death.

You say that about CH's, but find me half a dozen cars are running CH's now :whistle:

Gavv8

« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2013, 18:53 »
I'll get back to you..

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2013, 18:55 »
I'll get back to you..

Mine doesn't count :grin: