Author Topic: Derv And Subtle Strokes  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Derv And Subtle Strokes
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2012, 21:03 »
Have you calculated it from tank to tank using the old method or is it all from the trip computer?  Mine always saw above 50mpg on the trip but it was closer to 48mpg when you worked it out properly.  Same story with the Aldi

Derv's do lose a bit of MPG during the colder weather but you should be seeing a little better than that  :undecided:

You could have a very slow failing MAF which will never throw a fault code.  I'd also check simple things like the air filter and your tyre pressures as they are the cheapest items  :smiley:

Also worth cleaning out the EGR and inlet manifold as they gunk up with rubbish over time :afro:

You could even have a tiny boost leak so check out the pipework and replace the seals and clips
« Last Edit: 04 January 2012, 21:07 by Rhyso »

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2012, 21:29 »
Cheers Rhys, I'll get one of the lads in the workshop to take a look next week. Truck mechanics so will hopefully have some idea  :evil:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2012, 21:30 »
Are the wheels genuine or reps, they really suit it :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2012, 21:33 »
Cheers Rhys, I'll get one of the lads in the workshop to take a look next week. Truck mechanics so will hopefully have some idea  :evil:

No worries  :smiley:  Oooo do they have a smoke machine for testing boost leaks?? Worth seeing if they do and if they'll stick it on the car  :smiley:

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2012, 21:33 »
Reps Wayne, no BBS stamping on the inside.

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2012, 21:34 »
I don't think so Rhys, were a Pet Reg workshop so some work can't be done at our place.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2012, 21:38 »
Reps Wayne, no BBS stamping on the inside.

This is a long shot and you may think it is nuts but they may be hurting your mpg, I had reps on mine which I have changed now to pro race 1.2's which weigh 3.6kg each less since then I have been getting 3/4mpg more, most BBS's reps tend to be very heavy.

It may be worth finding someone with some spare standards that you could borrow and try.

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2012, 21:43 »
Any extra weight will hurt it I suppose. If its as simple as the wheels they will be staying on, I like the look to much  :grin:

I could do with losing a few kgs myself  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2012, 21:45 »
Any extra weight will hurt it I suppose. If its as simple as the wheels they will be staying on, I like the look to much  :grin:

I could do with losing a few kgs myself  :lipsrsealed:

I was really suprised how heavy the BBS's were but as you said they are a classic wheel and always look good.

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2012, 17:07 »
Just a few quick snaps of how its looking at the moment. As I said not really done much apart from changing the standard aerial to the ones Whoosh is selling in classifieds and chucking the daft blue bulbs that the previous owner had put in.

Quality is poor as used my phone.

Things I'd like to do are

Maybe drop it a tad more, currently down 30mm may go for coilovers funds allowing.
Get rid of the Carbonio intake, don't really think it does all that much tbh
Wheels powder coated anthracite/gun metal? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 09 January 2012, 17:09 by GolfDan »