Author Topic: Sams Scruffy Mk3!  (Read 98661 times)

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
Sams Scruffy Mk3!
« on: 10 August 2010, 20:28 »
i hope this is the right place to put this topic, if not please move it :)

so i bought this 1992 1.4 CL a few weeks ago for £160, no tax or test and came with a couple of sets of alloys and a nice big chavvy exhaust so figured as scrap price is almost that around here i cant really go wrong

as you would expect for that money the car is a bit of a shed but theres nothing majorly wrong with it, im at college on an auto repair/technology course at the moment so it will be good to have a project car to get roadworthy and get looking nice

i'll let the pics do the talking really, any comments/suggestions/help is welcomed

One thing is... the engine runs fine but its got a starting problem at the moment so if anyones able to help the thread is here:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=160167.0

Ok, so here it is when i first got it:

So first thing was to get to work checking it all over underneath, none of which was too bad other than the rear shock tops which where rusted through and one side had been bodged with a 0.5Kg weight  :undecided:

Next i started removing the stenciling on the sides as to be honest i would be embarassed to drive that to an MOT station  :grin: still got a few more to get off
and those rims are disgusting in my opinion so i painted the set of 13"s it came with black and its rolling on those for now

Also began removing this stuff off the rear windows which looks like a fail at spray on window tint

last week i made a trip to the scrapyard with a friend, came back with a new backbox as it currently has none other than the massive chav one, a new left side mirror, GTI rear lights and a load of speakers as they were a £1 each  :grin:

so last pictures for now...

the lights make a big difference i think   :smiley:

Updates might be kinda slow as im rather short on money atm and trying to save what i can for MOT and tax when its ready

« Last Edit: 16 May 2012, 18:47 by rcsammy »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Sams Scruffy Mk3 CL!
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2010, 22:34 »
Yeah right place... I saw the first couple of pics and thought for that money you cant complain until i saw the custom suspension mount!!  :shocked: :shocked: I cant believe someone would drive like that! how dangerous... well it seems your on the right track to put it right..... the rest of it looks pretty solid on the outside..... good luck and keep us posted.  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2010, 23:59 »
Looks a good project.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2010, 00:10 »
Hahaha! :grin: that's P!ss funny! looking good thought mate, could turn into something nice :wink: and bargin price!

Dan

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2010, 00:40 »
Well ive been looking for a Mk3 for a while now, at one point i got so desperate to get rid of my mk3 astra i was considering anything with wheels and an MOT  :grin:
but im glad i found this one, got a good deal and white was the colour i wanted

Loads still to do though, although hopefully not too much more before it can be MOT'd
only things left to sort are that starting problem and then once thats sorted i can drive it down and get a small hole in the sill welded up

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2010, 16:39 »
well i hope you guys dont mind small updates because not much has been happening with it recently, need to figure out that starting problem before i can get any major progress done.

heres a crappy quality pic anyway  :grin: started sanding off those drips on the side, bloody hard work! its like window tint stuff and its on really thick

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2010, 18:16 »
booo were the runs already there or was that from you cleaning it off the glass??... whats the starting problem then?

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2010, 18:38 »
booo were the runs already there or was that from you cleaning it off the glass??... whats the starting problem then?

they were already there, pics of how it was when i picked it up in the 1st post :)

starting problem is here:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=160167.0

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2010, 21:03 »
just posted my 10 pence worth on your starting problem thread

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2010, 22:43 »
just posted my 10 pence worth on your starting problem thread

Cheers, dont think its the earth strap though  :undecided: i tested the resistance from battery terminal to the bolt its held on with the other end and cleaned up the contacts anyway and it read really low

im taking it up to my grandparents farm tomorrow as they are good at problem solving and cars :p then once the starting problems sorted it will be off to have the sill welded up and the MOT time

edit: forgot i should probably put the new exhaust on too  :grin: