Author Topic: barry-gti - 1.8T  (Read 30301 times)

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
Re: barry-gti - 1.8T
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2010, 18:55 »
The coilovers, ARB, TT Wishbone rear bushes and new top-mounts are done!

Now, We have problems  :grin:

This was discovered!

Not good! The car didnt have Anti-Freeze in it which was more than likely the culprit. I was going to get the head gasket changed but after a bit of advice from the garage i decided not to just in case the block is cracked. So i've been searching with the kind help of people on here for an AGU inparticular.  Which i've now bought.

I'm going to put the VVT from my AUM in the AGU. i already have a Intake manifold coming with the engine and i'm going to be using the AUM injectors because i'm running AUM Management. i'm going to use an AUM Rocker cover which BaV has taken to the powder-coaters for me  :evil: you'll have to wait for the colour if you havn't guessed it lol. the only problem i might get is to do with the secondary air intake which i will need to try and get mapped out. other than this fingers crossed it all goes sweet!

Also, i should be getting a Neuspeed 28mm Rear ARB over the next week or so (once my car is back) so my next couple of updates should have quite a few piccies of the new engine, lower car etc...

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 17 February 2010, 21:20 »
About time i updated this!

The new engine is in. Basically. its an AGU engine with Intake manifold. Everything else is AUM (Throttle, Management, Injectors, Rocker cover + Coilpacks, Sump, VVT...) there's no SAI so i think that's one of the reasons its running a bit sloppy at times, also definatly needs a new map and needs a new thermostat. i changed the temp sender but that didn't cure the problem of my coolant temperature staying cold then normal then cold etc. Here's a pic of the new engine in...

i've had the rocker cover powder coated yellow (to match the brakes) and also the block and intake manifold have been painted black. Looks pretty good, i'll get a daytime picture...

Here's pics with the coilovers fitted  :cool:

I've got a 28mm Neuspeed Rear ARB in my garage waiting for me to fit aswell. Next update quite soon!

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 06 March 2010, 12:52 »
Here's the 28mm Neuspeed rear ARB...

It was actually nearly impossible to fit lol. the brackets were too small to fit all the way around the rear beam. so we took a couple bends out and trimmed down the bushes a little bit and managed to squeeze it around the rear beam. But! it does make quite a big difference, the car holds to the road so much better and on some corners there is practically no roll at all. a worthy investment!

I also bought some Lupo manual mirrors which i converted to electric. the paint on them is kinda terrible at the minute but when it gets a bit warmer i'm going to freshen them up in Matt black...

Done my thermostat and a new wheel bearing aswell. temperature is all sorted and i havn't got an annoying rumble from my rear wheel now lol. but to my suprise the kit was £100+!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: 06 March 2010, 12:56 by barry-gti »

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 25 March 2010, 21:12 »
i've gone and fitted an R32 Front bumper!  :smiley:

Had the notch on the bonnet smoothed aswell because it was already smooth on the bumper, got a LCR Splitter and Mattig Badgeless grill. Also had the mirrors painted satin black to match the satin black grill

i've ordered some Genuine R32 Lower bumper grills to go in aswell

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2010, 20:38 »
Not much to report on really, still having problems with the engine! running like dog poo... looking for a new VVT unit or Cam chain tensioner as its more commonly called which i found out today. when it's plugged in it's putting the timing out!? so it's unplugged and it's not coming up with the timing fault but still running crap.

then i'm gonna put a resistor in where the secondary air intake was and then hopefully it runs alot better! heard from BaV that when he removed his SAI, his was running a little crappy aswell. if they both fail to sort it i'll get the turbo actuator looked at and then look for more boost leaks i suppose!

I've purchased some spacers though as they're cheap lol. i got some 20ml bolt-on Hubcentric for the rears and 10ml hubcentric for the front.

The rears have been fitted  :smiley:

i'm liking the rear a lot more now, when new tyres are due (very soon!) i'm gonna give them a little stretch and go lower. i need to get longer bolts for the front aswell...

lots more plans for the car. new rear badge as the crap colour coded sharan one was getting on my nerves. so i'm gonna get a new sharan badge and miiiight leave it standard colour. and i'm gonna change the rear lights as i want it looking a little more subtle!
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 20:43 by barry-gti »

Offline Rossabal

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2010, 05:22 »
cars lookin great mate, whered you order the spacers from/ how much?
"If i thought punching you in the face would make you look better....... I would.."

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2010, 12:45 »
I got the rears from e-bay and the fronts from Topher. I'll send you the link to the e-bay ones later

Cheers mate :)

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 14 June 2010, 12:35 »
Not a great deal to report on!

Got the Cam chain tensioner / VVT fitted which Jordy found for me  :smiley: That's eliminated the timing problem. And we've put a resistor in where the Secondary Air Intake used to be. But i've still got boost problems  :sad:

There's no faults now on normal running, when faults are cleared it boosts fine... Then... maximum charge pressure surpassed (overboosting)  :sad: Still running crap after everything!

It narrowes it down to an electical fault because as soon as the code is cleared it runs fine. So the next thing to change is the Intercooler + Map Sensor. I'm only changing the IC because the bolts which hold the Map sensor in on mine is buggered lol.

new tyres are needed quite urgently aswell...

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 12 August 2010, 08:35 »

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 19 November 2010, 09:26 »
Bye Bye golf  :cry:

Hello Bora  :smiley:

Check out my new project thread here...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167987.0