Author Topic: gazbutmk5gti - steel grey Edition 30  (Read 21611 times)

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
gazbutmk5gti - steel grey Edition 30
« on: 13 February 2008, 10:12 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline gazbutmk5gti

• I live here
Re: gazbutmk5gti - steel grey Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2008, 16:56 »
OK, finally got 5 minutes to post something!

This is my second mk5 GTi, bought new in November after alot of searching for a manual steel grey one, eventually found one in Scarborough which is a bit of a trek but worth it. It was a fairly standard spec car as it was already on its way and was going to be the Sales Managers car.

I had a bit of a fiddle with the other mk5 which was of the regular flavour, Eibach dampers and springs, Eibach anti-bars, 19" CH's, Forge DV, APR stg 2, Milltek TBE which produced 262bhp and over 300 ft/lbs of torque which was nice but as always you want more. With the K03s turbo on the regular GTi this is about as far as it will go so I was looking into a big turbo conversion which APR do, but when I weighed up the costs involved it was more than upgrading to an ED30 which we all know already has a bigger turbo. So the main reason for buying the ED30 was its tuning potential.

So after picking it up it was a case of putting a few miles on it so it could go for its remap which I'd already spoken to Awesome GTi in Manchester about, intially the target was set at 3000 miles but I just couldn't wait so 1000 miles it was.

While the car was at Awesome I had them fit the Eibach coilovers I had waiting and the Eibach anti-roll bars I'd removed from the old car.
On the rolling road the car made 248bhp as standard, which is quite normal for the ED30, and then 295bhp after the remap, which considering the low miles it had done at the time I was more than pleased. See below;

The car has since done 298bhp on the same rollers, with about 2000miles on it I think. I have since fitted the Carbonio intake, and the car has done 5000 miles, so I'm hopeful of around the 300bhp mark now.

So with the remap, and suspension sorted I fitted the Zero Sixty dimpled and grooved brake discs front and rear that I'd taken of the old car and also the 19" BBS CH's which I'd waited 3 months for.

I have also retro fitted the centre armrest, I can't believe the ED30 comes without it, and fitted the ECS dogbone insert to try and reduce the wheelhop which is inevitable with this much power going through the front wheels.

I think the ride height is spot on now, although we did have to change it a few times.

So whats next, APR are about to launch stage 2, you need a bigger intercooler and TBE exhaust so its expensive, but gives around 335bhp, but I think an LSD might be needed first, so we'll have to wait and see.

Thanx for taking the time to read my ramblings :tongue:

« Last Edit: 17 February 2008, 17:33 by gazbutmk5gti »
Revo stg2+ & lots more